all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Gnus of emacs21 not reading NNTPSERVER on Fink/Mac OS 10.4.3
@ 2005-12-06 10:41 Hans Aberg
From: Hans Aberg @ 2005-12-06 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

I cannot tell whether this is a problem in emacs21, or in the Fink
version of for Mac OS 10.4.3:

I can get emacs21 to read the NNTPSERVER variable if I type (in
uxterm/bash):
   env NNTPSERVER=<newsserver> emacs21 &
but I cannot get emacs21 to read it otherwise, for example, by putting
   NNTPSERVER=<newsserver>
into ".profile" and ".bashrc", nor does typing
   NNTPSERVER=<newsserver>
   emacs21 &
work.

If I make a ".gnus" file with say
   (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news1.comhem.se"))
   (setq gnus-check-new-newsgroups 'ask-server)
then Gnus loads and works for news reading. But I am curious about
this problem with emacs21 not reading an environment variable, it
apparently should.

   Hans Aberg

* Re: Gnus of emacs21 not reading NNTPSERVER on Fink/Mac OS 10.4.3
@ 2005-12-06 13:20 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2005-12-06 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Dec 06 2005, Hans Aberg wrote:

> I cannot tell whether this is a problem in emacs21, or in the Fink
> version of for Mac OS 10.4.3:
>
> I can get emacs21 to read the NNTPSERVER variable if I type (in  uxterm/bash):
>   env NNTPSERVER=<newsserver> emacs21 &
> but I cannot get emacs21 to read it otherwise, for example, by putting
>   NNTPSERVER=<newsserver>
> into ".profile" and ".bashrc", nor does typing
>   NNTPSERVER=<newsserver>
>   emacs21 &
> work.

This is not a bug in Emacs or Gnus.  You must export the variable to
the child process (= emacs21 in your case) of the shell.  See the bash
manual:

,----[ (info "(bash)Bourne Shell Builtins") ]
`----

> If I make a ".gnus" file with say
>   (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news1.comhem.se"))

I'd prefer this way anyhow.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Gnus of emacs21 not reading NNTPSERVER on Fink/Mac OS 10.4.3
@ 2005-12-06 14:19   ` Hans Aberg
From: Hans Aberg @ 2005-12-06 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

On 6 Dec 2005, at 14:20, Reiner Steib wrote:

>> I cannot tell whether this is a problem in emacs21, or in the Fink
>> version of for Mac OS 10.4.3:
>>
>> I can get emacs21 to read the NNTPSERVER variable if I type (in
>> uxterm/bash):
>>   env NNTPSERVER=<newsserver> emacs21 &
>> but I cannot get emacs21 to read it otherwise, for example, by
>> putting
>>   NNTPSERVER=<newsserver>
>> into ".profile" and ".bashrc", nor does typing
>>   NNTPSERVER=<newsserver>
>>   emacs21 &
>> work.
>
> This is not a bug in Emacs or Gnus.  You must export the variable to
> the child process (= emacs21 in your case) of the shell.  See the bash
> manual:
>
> ,----[ (info "(bash)Bourne Shell Builtins") ]
> | `export'
> |           export [-fn] [-p] [NAME[=VALUE]]
> |      Mark each NAME to be passed to child processes in the
> environment.
> `----

Thank you. Yes, when you mention it, I recall having done such
exports before, as part of debugging a Bison install. But I was in a
hurry, just to get to see if emacs21 could work at all with Fink (Mac
OS 10.4.3), which it indeed does. The NNTPSERVER variable now works,
either if one puts the export directly in the command line, or in the
".bashrc" file.

>> If I make a ".gnus" file with say
>>   (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news1.comhem.se"))
>
> I'd prefer this way anyhow.

That is best for normal use. But it is good to have more than method,
perhaps not just for this variable.

While at it, the newsreader I use on Mac OS X, NewsWatcher-X 2.2.3b2,
has the capacity to take down the active file from the newsserver
just once, and update it when new groups arrive. This feature speeds
up subsequent startups. So it leads me to the idea that Gnus has such
a feature, plus a menu item 'update local active file'. This is good
on low bandwidth: my active file is 1-2 MB, which can take some time
also on broadband.

   Hans Åberg