all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* "From: address is not valid." when sending mail
@ 2007-06-29 22:30 levander
From: levander @ 2007-06-29 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm trying to set up smtpmail to send mail from gnus and the defaul
mail user agent.  I've got most of it working.  But, there's some
error when smtpmail is sending the email to my ISP's mail server.
>From the smtp trace in emacs, note that highhat.net is a private
domain name that I just made up here, mindspring.com is the mail
domain, earthlink.net is the domain that hosts the mail server for
mindspring:

Process SMTP deleted
220-elasmtp-curtail.atl.sa.earthlink.net ESMTP Exim 4.34 #1 Fri, 29
Jun 2007 18:10:31 -0400
220-NO UCE.  EarthLink does not authorize the use of its computers or
network
220 equipment to accept, transmit, or distribute unsolicited e-mail.
EHLO louis.highhat.net
250-elasmtp-curtail.atl.sa.earthlink.net Hello louis.highhat.net
[66.32.215.156]
250-SIZE 14680064
250-PIPELINING
250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN CRAM-MD5
250-STARTTLS
250 HELP
AUTH PLAIN [was some long encoded looking string - removed cause I
didn't know if it was sensitive info]
235 Authentication succeeded
MAIL FROM:<levander@highhat.net> SIZE=18868
250 OK
RCPT TO:<levander@mindspring.com>
550 From: address is not valid.   Please check your email settings.
QUIT
221 elasmtp-curtail.atl.sa.earthlink.net closing connection

Is that "MAIL FROM:" being sent to the server, is that the same as the
"From" header in the composed email itself.  If so, I don't know why
it's being set to highhat.net, as I'm using styles in gnus to set the
from address to "levander@mindspring.com", and I see that header field
in the window when I'm composing the email.

Maybe that "MAIL FROM:" being sent to the server is coming from /etc/
mailname?  I do have "highat.net" in that file.  But, I'd rather not
change the contents of that file.  Is there another way to specify the
domain sent to the server in that "MAIL FROM:" string?

My smtp-auth-credentials does have "levander@mindspring.com" set as
the username.  If it wasn't, I don't think authentication would
succeed in that trace.

* Re: "From: address is not valid." when sending mail
@ 2007-06-30  7:13 ` levander
From: levander @ 2007-06-30  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm not sure why we don't have better documentation for emacs.  From
rummaging around the info docs for a couple of hours I found out that
in gnus, the email address you set for an account overrides some user-
email-address variable.  Simply trying setting that user-email-address
on a whim, it turns out that that is where smtpmail gets the value
from to set in that "MAIL FROM" command above.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think user-email-address even
shows up in the smtpmail documentation.  I couldn't find it.

* Re: "From: address is not valid." when sending mail
@ 2007-06-30  8:50   ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2007-06-30  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: levander; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

levander writes:
 > I'm not sure why we don't have better documentation for emacs.  From
 > rummaging around the info docs for a couple of hours I found out that
 > in gnus, the email address you set for an account overrides some user-
 > email-address variable.  Simply trying setting that user-email-address
 > on a whim, it turns out that that is where smtpmail gets the value
 > from to set in that "MAIL FROM" command above.
 >
 > Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think user-email-address even
 > shows up in the smtpmail documentation.  I couldn't find it.

Don't you mean user-mail-address?  This is mentioned repeatedly in the Emacs
manual.

* Re: "From: address is not valid." when sending mail
@ 2007-06-30  8:54   ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2007-06-30  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

() levander <levander404@gmail.com>
() Sat, 30 Jun 2007 07:13:38 -0000

   Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think user-email-address even
   shows up in the smtpmail documentation.  I couldn't find it.

i think the var `mail-specify-envelope-from' is relevant.  for example:

(setq mail-host-address "foo.org"
      mail-specify-envelope-from t
      mail-envelope-from 'header)

thi

* Re: "From: address is not valid." when sending mail
@ 2007-06-30 10:13   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-06-30 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: levander; +Cc: Simon Josefsson, help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, Jun 30 2007, levander wrote:

> I'm not sure why we don't have better documentation for emacs.

Because nobody contributed better documentation.

> From rummaging around the info docs for a couple of hours I found
> out that in gnus, the email address you set for an account overrides
> some user- email-address variable.  Simply trying setting that
> user-email-address on a whim, it turns out that that is where
> smtpmail gets the value from to set in that "MAIL FROM" command
> above.
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think user-email-address even
> shows up in the smtpmail documentation.  I couldn't find it.

I guess you meant `user-mail-address'.  When using Gnus, you should
refer to it's documentation as well.  The Message manual (Gnus' mail
mode) includes:

,----[ (info "(message)Mail Variables") ]
| `message-sendmail-envelope-from'
|      When `message-sendmail-f-is-evil' is `nil', this specifies the
|      address to use in the SMTP envelope.  If it is `nil', use
|      `user-mail-address'.  If it is the symbol `header', use the `From'
|      header of the message.
`----

You can find this via index search `i From RET , , , ,' (`i' =
`Info-index', `,' = `Info-index-next').

But I agree that it would be useful if the smtpmail documentation
would also include something about the envelope From because it seem
to be a frequent problem.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,