all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Changing the colors of the initial frame
@ 2015-05-04 17:15 Volker Wysk
From: Volker Wysk @ 2015-05-04 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi!

I have this in my .emacs:

(setq default-frame-alist  '(
  (height . 55)
  (width . 190)
  (font . "10x20")
  (vertical-scroll-bars . t)
  (horizontal-scroll-bars . nil)
  (foreground-color . "#00FF30")
  (background-color . "black")
  (cursor-color . "white")
  (cursor-type . box)
))

However, this does not get applied to the initial frame. The background is
white. When creating a new frame (make-frame), the settings take effect. How
do I configure the initial frame?

I also have this in .emacs:

(set-face-foreground 'mode-line  "white")
(set-face-background 'mode-line  "black")

This doesn't seem to have any effect.

I'm using Emacs-24.4.1. When i was using version 23, it worked. After
upgrading, the described problem occured.

Thanks for any help,
Volker

* Re: Changing the colors of the initial frame
       [not found] <mailman.2328.1430760037.904.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2015-05-04 17:34 ` Damien Wyart
From: Damien Wyart @ 2015-05-04 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Volker Wysk <verteiler@volker-wysk.de> in gnu.emacs.help:
> I have this in my .emacs:

> (setq default-frame-alist  '(

> However, this does not get applied to the initial frame.

Have a look at initial-frame-alist.

--
DW

* Re: Changing the colors of the initial frame
@ 2015-05-04 17:35 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-05-04 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Volker Wysk <verteiler@volker-wysk.de>
> Date: Mon, 04 May 2015 19:15:54 +0200
>
> (setq default-frame-alist  '(
>   (height . 55)
>   (width . 190)
>   (font . "10x20")
>   (vertical-scroll-bars . t)
>   (horizontal-scroll-bars . nil)
>   (foreground-color . "#00FF30")
>   (background-color . "black")
>   (cursor-color . "white")
>   (cursor-type . box)
> ))
>
> However, this does not get applied to the initial frame. The background is
> white. When creating a new frame (make-frame), the settings take effect. How
> do I configure the initial frame?

Did you try the above with initial-frame-alist as well?

* Re: Changing the colors of the initial frame
@ 2015-05-04 17:39   ` Volker Wysk
From: Volker Wysk @ 2015-05-04 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am Montag, 4. Mai 2015, 19:34:19 schrieb Damien Wyart:
> * Volker Wysk <verteiler@volker-wysk.de> in gnu.emacs.help:
> > I have this in my .emacs:
> >
> > (setq default-frame-alist  '(
> >
> > However, this does not get applied to the initial frame.
>
> Have a look at initial-frame-alist.

Yes, that's it. Thanx.

@ 2015-05-04 17:45   ` Volker Wysk
From: Volker Wysk @ 2015-05-04 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am Montag, 4. Mai 2015, 20:35:16 schrieb Eli Zaretskii:
> > From: Volker Wysk <verteiler@volker-wysk.de>
> > Date: Mon, 04 May 2015 19:15:54 +0200
> >
> > (setq default-frame-alist  '(
> >
> >   (height . 55)
> >   (width . 190)
> >   (font . "10x20")
> >   (vertical-scroll-bars . t)
> >   (horizontal-scroll-bars . nil)
> >   (foreground-color . "#00FF30")
> >   (background-color . "black")
> >   (cursor-color . "white")
> >   (cursor-type . box)
> >
> > ))
> >
> > However, this does not get applied to the initial frame. The background is
> > white. When creating a new frame (make-frame), the settings take effect.
> > How do I configure the initial frame?
>
> Did you try the above with initial-frame-alist as well?

Yes, I've just tried it - following Damien's hint. It works now.

Thanks,
Volker