all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* clipboard-*
@ 2007-06-23 12:11 csant
From: csant @ 2007-06-23 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi,

I noticed that clipboard-* functions are only available when running emacs
with an X GUI and was curious about whether it was a design decision, or
simply missing functionality, not to be able to use these functions when
running in terminal (-nw).

/c

* Re: clipboard-*
@ 2007-06-23 12:22 ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-06-23 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> I noticed that clipboard-* functions are only available when running
> emacs with an X GUI and was curious about whether it was a design
> decision, or simply missing functionality, not to be able to use these
> functions when running in terminal (-nw).
>
> /c

I also run emacs in xterm and it is painful to copy things between emacs
and other applications without using mouse.

* Re: clipboard-*
@ 2007-06-23 13:08   ` Nic James Ferrier
From: Nic James Ferrier @ 2007-06-23 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: emacs-devel

Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

>> I noticed that clipboard-* functions are only available when running
>> emacs with an X GUI and was curious about whether it was a design
>> decision, or simply missing functionality, not to be able to use these
>> functions when running in terminal (-nw).
>>
>> /c
>
> I also run emacs in xterm and it is painful to copy things between emacs
> and other applications without using mouse.

I'd love a solution to this as well!

--
Nic Ferrier
http://www.tapsellferrier.co.uk

* Re: clipboard-*
@ 2007-06-24  5:11   ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2007-06-24  5:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: emacs-devel

Leo writes:
 > > I noticed that clipboard-* functions are only available when running
 > > emacs with an X GUI and was curious about whether it was a design
 > > decision, or simply missing functionality, not to be able to use these
 > > functions when running in terminal (-nw).
 > >
 > > /c
 >
 > I also run emacs in xterm and it is painful to copy things between emacs
 > and other applications without using mouse.

If you read the manual you'll see that you can still do this:

                                                                The
  normal `xterm' mouse functionality for such clicks is still available
  by holding down the `SHIFT' key when you press the mouse button.

When running in terminal, Emacs doesn't communicate with the Xserver (although
xterm may).  This means that it can be invoked remotely even when X isn't
allowed over the connection.  If the connection can use X and you want to
use the clipboard-* functions why not just run it as an X application?

* Re: clipboard-*
@ 2007-06-24 10:02   ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2007-06-24 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: emacs-devel

Leo skrev:
>> I noticed that clipboard-* functions are only available when running
>> emacs with an X GUI and was curious about whether it was a design
>> decision, or simply missing functionality, not to be able to use these
>> functions when running in terminal (-nw).
>>
>> /c
>
> I also run emacs in xterm and it is painful to copy things between emacs
> and other applications without using mouse.

To use the clipboard, Emacs needs a connection to the X server.  But -nw is
there to explicitly not connect to the X server.

	Jan D.

* Re: clipboard-*
@ 2007-06-24 10:46     ` csant
From: csant @ 2007-06-24 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Djärv; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 12:02:00 +0200, Jan Djärv <jan.h.d@swipnet.se> wrote:

> To use the clipboard, Emacs needs a connection to the X server.  But -nw
> is there to explicitly not connect to the X server.

True, most unfortunate.  Since it precludes to have an "intermediate"
stage when you run emacs in terminal, but still allow it to communicate
with X (there are other apps that run in terminal and communicate with
PRIMARY and CLIPBOARD).  To some extent, this could be handled by the
terminal itself, but unfortunately a terminal has no notion of emacs
windows.

/c