all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Pasting Japanese from X
@ 2010-11-01 13:48 Bruno Tavernier
From: Bruno Tavernier @ 2010-11-01 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

When I try to paste some Japanese from an X application, for instance
Firefox, to an Emacs buffer running in its own X windows, I get
gibberish character (probably unicode).
However it works fine when I paste into an Emacs buffer running in a terminal...

From firefox -> xterm or urxvt
,----
| 日本 -> 日本
`----

From firefox -> emacsclient -t
,----
| 日本 -> 日本
`----

From firefox -> emacsclient -c
,----
| 日本 -> \u65e5\u672c
`----

How to solve this?

--
Bruno

Some infos:

`locale`
,----
| LANG=en_US.UTF-8
| LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
| LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
| LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
| LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
| LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
| LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
| LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
| LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
| LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
| LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
| LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
| LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
| LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8
`----

`Xorg -version`
,----
| X.Org X Server 1.9.0
| Release Date: 2010-08-20
| X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
| Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.34-ARCH i686
| Current Operating System: Linux TdM 2.6.35-ARCH
`----

x-select-enable-clipboard
,----
| Its value is t
`----

x-select-request-type
,----
| Its value is nil
| The value nil is the same as this list:
|   (UTF8_STRING COMPOUND_TEXT STRING)
`----

* Re: Pasting Japanese from X
@ 2010-11-01 14:29 ` Štěpán Němec
From: Štěpán Němec @ 2010-11-01 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruno Tavernier; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Bruno Tavernier <tavernier.bruno@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> When I try to paste some Japanese from an X application, for instance
> Firefox, to an Emacs buffer running in its own X windows, I get
> gibberish character (probably unicode).
> However it works fine when I paste into an Emacs buffer running in a
> terminal...
>
> From firefox -> xterm or urxvt
> ,----
> | 日本 -> 日本
> `----
>
> From firefox -> emacsclient -t
> ,----
> | 日本 -> 日本
> `----
>
> From firefox -> emacsclient -c
> ,----
> | 日本 -> \u65e5\u672c
> `----
>
> How to solve this?

That's a bug in the development version of Emacs (bug #6802). It has now
allegedly been fixed (I haven't tested yet), so after your next update
the problem should disappear.

Štěpán

* Re: Pasting Japanese from X
@ 2010-11-01 16:27 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2010-11-01 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruno Tavernier; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 01.11.2010 um 14:48 schrieb Bruno Tavernier:

> When I try to paste some Japanese from an X application, for instance
> Firefox, to an Emacs buffer running in its own X windows, I get
> gibberish character (probably unicode).

How does it work when you launch GNU Emacs without customisation?

Which are the locales in the environment in which X11 runs?

Why are you using emacsclient? Doesn't it work to paste directly into
one of its windows?

--
Greetings

   Pete

Hard Disk, n.:
	A device that allows users to delete vast quantities of data with
simple mnemonic commands.

* Re: Pasting Japanese from X
@ 2010-11-02  2:33   ` Bruno Tavernier
From: Bruno Tavernier @ 2010-11-02  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Štěpán Němec; +Cc: Peter Dyballa, emacs-help

Hello Štěpán, Hello Peter,

Thanks for taking a minute to help me.

>> From firefox -> emacsclient -c
>> ,----
>> | 日本 -> \u65e5\u672c
>> `----
>>
>> How to solve this?
>
> That's a bug in the development version of Emacs (bug #6802). It has now
> allegedly been fixed (I haven't tested yet), so after your next update
> the problem should disappear.

It was indeed due to a bug. Today I pulled from
git://repo.or.cz/emacs.git and the problem is gone.
Pasting works like a charm!

--
Bruno