all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* partial-completion-mode in gdba
@ 2007-03-21 12:03 A Soare
From: A Soare @ 2007-03-21 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs   Dev  [emacs-devel]

1. Emacs -Q

2. partial-completion-mode

=> partial-completion-mode on

3. gdba

=>Run gdba (like this): gdb -annotate=3 /g/e/ <TAB>

comint-dynamic-complete-as-filename: Opening directory: no such file or directory, /g/e/ [2 times]

However, to me emacs is installed in /gnu/emacs, et cetera.

* Re: partial-completion-mode in gdba
@ 2007-03-21 12:49 ` Denis Bueno
From: Denis Bueno @ 2007-03-21 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alinsoar; +Cc: Emacs Dev [emacs-devel]

On 3/21/07, A Soare <alinsoar@voila.fr> wrote:
> 1. Emacs -Q
>
> 2. partial-completion-mode
>
> => partial-completion-mode on
>
> 3. gdba
>
> =>Run gdba (like this): gdb -annotate=3 /g/e/ <TAB>
>
> comint-dynamic-complete-as-filename: Opening directory: no such file or directory, /g/e/ [2 times]

I'm no expert, but I think this is due to the fact that running M-x
partial-completion-mode just turns partial-completion-mode on in the
buffer in which you run in. Try reversing the order of steps 2 and 3.

I myself have been bitten by thiss. It is annoying. I wish there were
a global-partial-completion-mode, much as there is a
global-reveal-mode or global-hl-line-mode.

-Denis

* Re: partial-completion-mode in gdba
@ 2007-03-21 13:00 A Soare
From: A Soare @ 2007-03-21 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs   Dev  [emacs-devel]

> > 1. Emacs -Q
> >
> > 2. partial-completion-mode
> >
> > => partial-completion-mode on
> >
> > 3. gdba
> >
> > =>Run gdba (like this): gdb -annotate=3 /g/e/ <TAB>
> >
> > comint-dynamic-complete-as-filename: Opening directory: no such file or directory, /g/e/ [2 times]
>
> I'm no expert, but I think this is due to the fact that running M-x
> partial-completion-mode just turns partial-completion-mode on in the
> buffer in which you run in. Try reversing the order of steps 2 and 3.
>
> I myself have been bitten by thiss. It is annoying. I wish there were
> a global-partial-completion-mode, much as there is a
> global-reveal-mode or global-hl-line-mode.

The same error, but if reversed the error is expected. In this current form, this reported error is a bug.

Alin SOare.

* Re: partial-completion-mode in gdba
@ 2007-03-21 14:31   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-03-21 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Denis Bueno; +Cc: alinsoar, Emacs Dev [emacs-devel]

> I'm no expert, but I think this is due to the fact that running M-x
> partial-completion-mode just turns partial-completion-mode on in the
> buffer in which you run it.

You are confused.  partial-completion-mode is global.

* Re: partial-completion-mode in gdba
@ 2007-03-22 16:14 A Soare
From: A Soare @ 2007-03-22 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs   Dev  [emacs-devel]

> > 1. Emacs -Q
> >
> > 2. partial-completion-mode
> >
> > => partial-completion-mode on
> >
> > 3. gdba
> >
> > =>Run gdba (like this): gdb -annotate=3 /g/e/ <TAB>
> >
> > comint-dynamic-complete-as-filename: Opening directory: no such file or directory, /g/e/ [2 times]

This is a bug.

Not to forget about.

* Re: partial-completion-mode in gdba
@ 2007-03-22 18:33 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-03-22 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alinsoar; +Cc: Emacs Dev [emacs-devel]

>> > 1. Emacs -Q
>> >
>> > 2. partial-completion-mode
>> >
>> > => partial-completion-mode on
>> >
>> > 3. gdba
>> >
>> > =>Run gdba (like this): gdb -annotate=3 /g/e/ <TAB>
>> >
>> > comint-dynamic-complete-as-filename: Opening directory: no such file or directory, /g/e/ [2 times]
>>

> This is a bug.

Are you sure it's not a missing feature?

* Re: partial-completion-mode in gdba
@ 2007-03-22 21:19 ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2007-03-22 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alinsoar; +Cc: Emacs   Dev  [emacs-devel]

A Soare writes:
 > > > 1. Emacs -Q
 > > >
 > > > 2. partial-completion-mode
 > > >
 > > > => partial-completion-mode on
 > > >
 > > > 3. gdba
 > > >
 > > > =>Run gdba (like this): gdb -annotate=3 /g/e/ <TAB>
 > > >
 > > > comint-dynamic-complete-as-filename: Opening directory: no such file or directory, /g/e/ [2 times]
 > >

 > This is a bug.

Why do you think it's a bug?  Did it ever work for you?  I doubt it.  Partial
completion mode seems to replace minibuffer-complete-* with PC-complete-* in
the minibuffer keymaps but M-x gdba (and M-x gdb) uses read-from-minibuffer
with the keymap gud-minibuffer-local-map.  TAB is bound to
comint-dynamic-complete-filename on this keymap which is why it doesn't work as
you expect.

* Re: partial-completion-mode in gdba
@ 2007-03-23 10:13 A Soare
From: A Soare @ 2007-03-23 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Emacs   Dev  [emacs-devel]

> > This is a bug.
>
> Are you sure it's not a missing feature?

We can say so. But it is sure that it is a feature that must me present as time as partial-completion-mode is active.

A Soare

* Re: partial-completion-mode in gdba
@ 2007-03-23 10:32 A Soare
From: A Soare @ 2007-03-23 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Roberts; +Cc: Emacs   Dev  [emacs-devel]

> A Soare writes:
>  > > > 1. Emacs -Q
>  > > >
>  > > > 2. partial-completion-mode
>  > > >
>  > > > => partial-completion-mode on
>  > > >
>  > > > 3. gdba
>  > > >
>  > > > =>Run gdba (like this): gdb -annotate=3 /g/e/ <TAB>
>  > > >
>  > > > comint-dynamic-complete-as-filename: Opening directory: no such file or directory, /g/e/ [2 times]
>  > >
>  >
>  > This is a bug.
>
> Why do you think it's a bug?  Did it ever work for you?  I doubt it.  Partial
> completion mode seems to replace minibuffer-complete-* with PC-complete-* in
> the minibuffer keymaps but M-x gdba (and M-x gdb) uses read-from-minibuffer
> with the keymap gud-minibuffer-local-map.  TAB is bound to
> comint-dynamic-complete-filename on this keymap which is why it doesn't work as
> you expect.

It reads a file name in fact, and because partial completion is on, when I press TAB after /g/e I expect to see /gnu/emacs, because in the root of my filesystem the only one directory that starts with 'g' is gnu, and the only dir. from /gnu is emacs et cetera.

I do not think that such a feature ever existed, so I think this is not a bug, just a missing feature.

Alin Soare.