all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* debugging ncurses from emacs
@ 2006-12-13 15:42 Hadron Quark
From: Hadron Quark @ 2006-12-13 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am trying to debug an app using the ncurses library using gdba.

I have opened a terminal and queried its tty ID using "tty"

I get something like "/dev/pts/2"

I go back to me debugging session in emacs (gdba) and type

"tty /dev/pts/2"

in order to seperate the programs IO from the gdb output.

But the output from the program being debugged freezes after a few lines.

Any ideas or pointers?

* Re: debugging ncurses from emacs
@ 2006-12-19 20:45 Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2006-12-19 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> I am trying to debug an app using the ncurses library using gdba.

> I have opened a terminal and queried its tty ID using "tty"

> I get something like "/dev/pts/2"

> I go back to me debugging session in emacs (gdba) and type

> "tty /dev/pts/2"

> in order to seperate the programs IO from the gdb output.

> But the output from the program being debugged freezes after a few lines.

That's because the shell grabs input from the same terminal.  It should
work if you type something like "sleep 10000" in it first.

> Any ideas or pointers?

If your ncurses app is a bit like Emacs and you're not debugging startup, you
can run it in a terminal, find it's process no (1234, say) and attach to it
in gdb with "attach 1234".