all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Strange errors under debian
@ 2006-04-11 16:01 anakreonmejdi
From: anakreonmejdi @ 2006-04-11 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have this messages in emacs under debian
and can't figure out what's wrong.

M-x compile
It only produces the message:Searching for program: success

M-x grep-find:
The same

M-x shell:
Searching for program: no such file or directory

--
Three words describe our society:homo homini lupus

* Strange errors under debian
@ 2006-04-13 15:19 anakreonmejdi
From: anakreonmejdi @ 2006-04-13 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

I posted few days ago a report on errors
with emacs. This issue is very important to me
because I can not invoke commands like compile
and need to manually save each buffer now.

The problem with the error is that the message
reported provides no hints to me about the cause.

Could someone give guidelines in order to detect
the cause of the problem?

If I sart emacs with --debug-init command line
flag the messages reported are the same.

I have this messages in emacs under debian
and can't figure out what's wrong.

M-x compile
It only produces the message:Searching for program: success

M-x grep-find:
The same

M-x shell:
Searching for program: no such file or directory

--
Three words describe our society:homo homini lupus

* Re: Strange errors under debian
@ 2006-04-13 20:59 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-04-13 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 13.04.2006 um 17:19 schrieb anakreonmejdi@yahoo.gr:

> Could someone give guidelines in order to detect
> the cause of the problem?

Try to launch GNU Emacs with the options --no-init-file (.emacs or a
default.el file are not loaded) or --no-site-file (site-start.el is
not loaded).

When in the first case the message does not appear, you can be sure
it comes from your .emacs file.

When the message does not appear in the second case, you can be sure
that your site-start.el is causing the message.

--
Greetings

   Pete

"Computers are good at following instructions,
but not at reading your mind."
D. E. Knuth, The TeXbook, Addison-Wesley 1984, 1986, 1996, p. 9

* Re: Strange errors under debian
       [not found] <mailman.392.1144960748.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-04-14  7:43 ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2006-04-14  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

anakreonmejdi@yahoo.gr writes:

> I posted few days ago a report on errors
> with emacs. This issue is very important to me
> because I can not invoke commands like compile
> and need to manually save each buffer now.
>
> The problem with the error is that the message
> reported provides no hints to me about the cause.
>
> Could someone give guidelines in order to detect
> the cause of the problem?
>
> If I sart emacs with --debug-init command line
> flag the messages reported are the same.

If you want some assistance, you need to provide more precise
information. To start with

             What version of Debian? (stable, testing, unstable,
             experimental etc)

             What version of Emacs? (20, 21, 22 snapshot etc)

             Are you running under X or console mode?

             What shell are you using?

             Have you applied all necessary updates?

             What is in your .emacs file and have you tried starting
             with the -q switch and seeing if you get the same problems?

Answers to these will probably create more questions, but at least
will narrow down some of the possible causes. The errors you report
indicate a misconfigured system. We need to try and identify what is
incorrect. I've never seen messages like the ones you are reporting.
I'm running both emacs 21 and emacs22 snapshot from experimental, but
my system is mostly Debian Etch (unstable).

Tim
--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au