all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* RE: [External] : How to search in several Dired buffers
@ 2024-09-28 17:54 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2024-09-28 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kepa; +Cc: 'Help-Gnu-Emacs (help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org)'

> I would like to search in independent folders, like with dired-goto-
> file.
>
> Is it possible in any way?
>
> I have tried with Dired Plus, using diredp-dired-union, but it doesn't
> seem to work.

Define "doesn't seem to work", please.

`dired-goto-file' depends on an ordinary Dired buffer,
e.g., what's produced by `ls'.  It expands your input
FILE name wrt the current subdirectory listing.

A Dired buffer resulting from `diredp-dired-union' is,
however a buffer listing arbitrary files and dirs; it's
not an `ls' listing.  `dired-goto-file' won't work in
such buffers.  But plain isearch etc. should work fine.
___

Otherwise, I don't have a solution to your question.
Independent folders in the same buffer aren't handled
by ordinary Dired buffers.

[-- Attachment #2: winmail.dat --]
[-- Type: application/ms-tnef, Size: 14236 bytes --]

* RE: [External] : How to search in several Dired buffers
@ 2024-10-02 17:04   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2024-10-02 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams, Kepa; +Cc: 'Help-Gnu-Emacs (help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org)'

> > I would like to search in independent folders, like with dired-goto-file.
> > Is it possible in any way?
> >
> > I have tried with Dired Plus, using diredp-dired-union, but it doesn't
> > seem to work.

Should work now.

I've now enhanced `dired-goto-file' in Dired+, so it
works also in Dired buffers with listings of arbitrary
files and dirs, i.e., from anywhere.

You can use `diredp-dired-union' to combine listings of
independent folders, as you first tried, then use `j'
(`dired-goto-file') to move to a specific file/dir line.

* RE: [External] : How to search in several Dired buffers
@ 2024-10-03 22:20 Kepa via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Kepa via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2024-10-03 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Help-Gnu-Emacs (help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org)', Drew Adams

Thanks, Drew!!

I will try it as soon as I am able to download it (I have not access to
emacswiki these days).