all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* help with GDB in Emacs
@ 2005-08-05 16:34 Balaji V. Iyer
From: Balaji V. Iyer @ 2005-08-05 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw

Hi Everyone,
    This is a minor question, but how do I change the
line pointer in GDB to something like "=>" instead of
the usual small triangle?

Any help is very appreciated.

Thanks,

Balaji V. Iyer.

PS. CC's greatly appreciated

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

* help with GDB in Emacs
@ 2005-08-05 21:11 ` Nick Roberts
       [not found]   ` <20050806052621.71557.qmail@web31504.mail.mud.yahoo.com>
From: Nick Roberts @ 2005-08-05 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: emacs-devel

Balaji V. Iyer writes:
 > Hi Everyone,
 >     This is a minor question, but how do I change the
 > line pointer in GDB to something like "=>" instead of
 > the usual small triangle?
 >
 > Any help is very appreciated.

You can do this by disabling the fringe.  The manual says:

Manual>   You can enable and disable the fringes for all frames using `M-x
Manual> fringe-mode'.  To enable and disable the fringes for the selected
Manual> frame, use `M-x set-fringe-style'.

Doing this means that code is sometimes overlayed with "=>" and breakpoint
icons display in the margin instead of the fringe (this cause the code to
shift to the right).

Why would you want to do this?  What problem do you see with the triangle in
the fringe?

Nick

* Re: help with GDB in Emacs
       [not found]   ` <20050806052621.71557.qmail@web31504.mail.mud.yahoo.com>
@ 2005-08-07  0:17     ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2005-08-07  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: emacs-devel

 >    Thakn you very much for the quick reply. The reason
 > want this is htat, I run Emacs through an X windows
 > system and the small triangle is sitting on the side
 > and it hard for me to see (my monitor is not very
 > good, and neither is my Xwindows software). So, I was
 > wondering if I can use something else other than a
 > small triangle.

[Please cc replies to the mailing list - that way everyone gets to follow
the thread]

The triangle should be fairly easy to see.  Perhaps the fringe is too dark and
you have poor contrast.  The background colour of the fringe face on GNU/Linux
defaults to grey95 for me, but I get grey10 (too dark) on Windows with nqmacs.
If this is the case, you can use M-x customize-face RET fringe, to change the
colour.

Nick

[Perhaps you are not using Emacs 22.0.50, in which case you won't see the
breakpoint icons I mentioned in my previous e-mail. Questions about released
versions of Emacs should be sent to <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>.]