all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* apropos search
@ 2010-06-02 15:00 sable
From: sable @ 2010-06-02 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,
When you're doing an apropos search, is there a way to tell Emacs to
search for "whole words only". E.g, if you use the keyword "change"
and you only want command names that contain the word change, and not
"changes" or "exchange".

* Re: apropos search
@ 2010-06-02 15:15 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2010-06-02 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

sable <zxcv_890@hotmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
> When you're doing an apropos search, is there a way to tell Emacs to
> search for "whole words only". E.g, if you use the keyword "change"
> and you only want command names that contain the word change, and not
> "changes" or "exchange".

C-h a \<change\> RET

--
David Kastrup

* Re: apropos search
@ 2010-06-02 15:23   ` sable
From: sable @ 2010-06-02 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jun 2, 11:15 am, David Kastrup <d...@gnu.org> wrote:
> sable <zxcv_...@hotmail.com> writes:
> > Hi,
> > When you're doing an apropos search, is there a way to tell Emacs to
> > search for "whole words only". E.g, if you use the keyword "change"
> > and you only want command names that contain the word change, and not
> > "changes" or "exchange".
>
> C-h a \<change\> RET
>
> --
> David Kastrup

Interesting, thanks. Is there a way (variable) to change the default
search to "whole words only"?

* Re: apropos search
@ 2010-06-02 19:22     ` Andreas Politz
From: Andreas Politz @ 2010-06-02 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

sable <zxcv_890@hotmail.com> writes:

> On Jun 2, 11:15 am, David Kastrup <d...@gnu.org> wrote:
>> sable <zxcv_...@hotmail.com> writes:
>> > Hi,
>> > When you're doing an apropos search, is there a way to tell Emacs to
>> > search for "whole words only". E.g, if you use the keyword "change"
>> > and you only want command names that contain the word change, and not
>> > "changes" or "exchange".
>>
>> C-h a \<change\> RET
>>
>> --
>> David Kastrup
>
> Interesting, thanks. Is there a way (variable) to change the default
> search to "whole words only"?

I don't think so, but we can try to create it.

(defcustom apropos-whole-words t
  "Whether the apropos commands should search for whole words."
  :group 'apropos
  :type 'boolean)

(defadvice apropos-parse-pattern (before rewrite-pattern-ad activate)
  (when (and apropos-whole-words
             (consp (ad-get-arg 0)))
    (ad-set-arg 0 (mapcar (lambda (p)
                            (format "\\<%s\\>" p))
                          (ad-get-arg 0)))))

-ap

* Re: apropos search
@ 2010-06-04 13:13       ` sable
From: sable @ 2010-06-04 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jun 2, 3:22 pm, Andreas Politz <poli...@fh-trier.de> wrote:
> sable <zxcv_...@hotmail.com> writes:
>
> >> C-h a \<change\> RET
>
> >> --
> >> David Kastrup
>
> > Interesting, thanks. Is there a way (variable) to change the default
> > search to "whole words only"?
>
> I don't think so, but we can try to create it.
>
> (defcustom apropos-whole-words t
>   "Whether the apropos commands should search for whole words."
>   :group 'apropos
>   :type 'boolean)
>
> (defadvice apropos-parse-pattern (before rewrite-pattern-ad activate)
>   (when (and apropos-whole-words
>              (consp (ad-get-arg 0)))
>     (ad-set-arg 0 (mapcar (lambda (p)
>                             (format "\\<%s\\>" p))
>                           (ad-get-arg 0)))))
>
> -ap- Hide quoted text -

Whoa, that's a little over my head at this point, but I'll keep that
for future reference, thanks! I assume you would put this code in
the .emacs file or something...