all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* todo list auto generation from code comments
@ 2008-04-30  1:06 map7
From: map7 @ 2008-04-30  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Is there a plugin out there which will allow me to gather all the '#TODO'
comments from my ruby code and generate a todo list?

I've seen this feature in other IDE's and think it would be useful.  If it
doesn't exist does anyone know if lisp is capable of performing this?

* Re: todo list auto generation from code comments
       [not found] <mailman.10957.1209530726.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-04-30  8:45 ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2008-04-30  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

map7 <michael@dtcorp.com.au> writes:

> Is there a plugin out there which will allow me to gather all the '#TODO'
> comments from my ruby code and generate a todo list?
>
> I've seen this feature in other IDE's and think it would be useful.  If it
> doesn't exist does anyone know if lisp is capable of performing this?

eLisp is certainly capable of doing this. Lots of the bits are already
available, but you will probably need to 'glue' them together. I've
thought about something similar, but never had the time to do it.

What I currently do is use org-mode and planner-mode to do this (I'm
sort of between the two worlds just now - haven't decided which I like
better planner-mode or org-mode). In either case, both support
remember-mode (now bundled in CVS emacs, but also available as a
stand-alone). Essentially, I have a hot key (f6) setup so that it opens
a 'remember' buffer. I write the note/todo/fixme in the buffer and when
I save it with C-c C-c, it puts the text in a file and includes a
hyperlink to the spot in the buffer you werer working in when you called
up remember. In my case, the note goes into either a planner file or an
org-mode project file and is marked as a todo. In org-mode, you can get
a quick display of your todo items with akey press and clicking on the
yperlink takes you to the relevant file. It all works really well.

The only functionality I would like is for the remember note to be added
as a comment in the current working file e.g. C source code file as well
as the planner/org project file. I'm sure this could be done with only a
bit of elisp, its just never got high enough on my todo list (one of the
problems of having an effective todo system - you soon find you have
lots of todos!)

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

@ 2008-05-02 15:05 ` Xah
From: Xah @ 2008-05-02 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Apr 29, 6:06 pm, map7 <mich...@dtcorp.com.au> wrote:
> Is there a plugin out there which will allow me to gather all the '#TODO'
> comments from my ruby code and generate a todo list?
>
> I've seen this feature in other IDE's and think it would be useful.  If it
> doesn't exist does anyone know if lisp is capable of performing this?

if your #TODO is single line, you can just use list-matching-lines to
collect them all and paste into a file.

if your todo is not a single line, you could then easily write a elisp
code that slurp blocks defined as starting with #TODO and ends perhaps
at a empty line.

Google: Xah emacs lisp tutorial

and you should find my tutorial if you want.

  Xah
  xah@xahlee.org
∑ http://xahlee.org/^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 3+ messages in thread