all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* About deleting text in emacs
@ 2008-04-27 21:50 oyferder
From: oyferder @ 2008-04-27 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Hi. I am using laTex and thus writing .tex files in emacs. I have Windows XP
on my system. Recently, I have had a strange problem. I can only delete one
letter at a time(by using delete-button or backspace-button on keyboard). If
I try to select a bunch of text in my file and then push delete-button, I
just delete the one letter after this bunch of text, not the bunch
itself(and if I try to select a bunch of text and then push
backspace-button, I just delete the one letter before the bunch). And the
delete-button on the edit-menu is always grey, also when I select some text.

I hope anyone can help

Øystein Færder

* Re: About deleting text in emacs
@ 2008-04-28 15:37 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-04-28 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: oyferder; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

Am 27.04.2008 um 23:50 schrieb oyferder:

> I am using laTex and thus writing .tex files in emacs

Were you using AUCTeX? Was cua-mode still on?

I am deleting words with Esc-BS or M-d (Esc-d) – these seem to work
all the time.

--
Greetings

   Pete

To drink without thirst and to make love all the time, madam, it is
only these which distinguish us from the other beasts.
				– Beaumarchais

* Re: About deleting text in emacs
@ 2008-04-28 16:21   ` oyferder
From: oyferder @ 2008-04-28 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Hi. When I restarted emacs at a later time, the "delete section" function
worked(selecting and pushing delete), so maybe cua-mode was off. But Esc-BS
and Esc-d worked to delete a word for word, so thx for that commando;)
However, I should check cua-mode. Do you know where(in the emacs folder)
cua.el should be installed?

Øystein

@ 2008-04-28 16:35     ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-04-28 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: oyferder; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

cua-mode comes with Emacs 22 (and later). You can just do

   M-x cua-mode

to turn it on for testing. Later you can customize cua-mode if you liked it:

   M-x customize-option
   Customize variable: cua-mode