all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* beautifying the current line
@ 2008-04-23 21:26 TheLonelyStar
From: TheLonelyStar @ 2008-04-23 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

When I press tab in emacs (while editing an c++ file), it indents the
current line. Very good!
I was wondering if maybe emacs could do even more. Look at this example:
What if pressing tab on something like this:

LongTypeName a;
int b; //<-press tab on this line

Would result in:

LongTypeName a;
int                 b;

Like running astyle. But only the current line is changed.
I do not want to change the whole buffer, just the current line.
I also do not want to select a region for this. Just press tab, like I do
when I want indention.

Is this possible?
Thanks!
Nathan

* Re: beautifying the current line
       [not found] <mailman.10758.1208989619.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-04-24 10:10 ` harven
From: harven @ 2008-04-24 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Apr 23, 11:26 pm, TheLonelyStar <nab...@lonely-star.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I press tab in emacs (while editing an c++ file), it indents the
> current line. Very good!
> I was wondering if maybe emacs could do even more. Look at this example:
> What if pressing tab on something like this:
>
> LongTypeName a;
> int b; //<-press tab on this line
>
> Would result in:
>
> LongTypeName a;
> int                 b;
>
> Like running astyle. But only the current line is changed.
> I do not want to change the whole buffer, just the current line.
> I also do not want to select a region for this. Just press tab, like I do
> when I want indention.
>
> Is this possible?
> Thanks!
> Nathan
> --

If you are looking for alignment of assignments, try  M-x align-
current

It works on the current section, I think that's what you want.
Have a look on the emacs wiki, in CategoryAlignment, for more details.