all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs question
@ 2004-11-01 15:47 Jeffrey Leitner
From: Jeffrey Leitner @ 2004-11-01 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have a user in Cypress that has one of our NAS 200 boxes with SFU
installed.

They claim when they use emacs 21.1.1 in a unix to unix environment they
have no issues.  However when they use the IBM NAS 200, Win2K based with
Services for Unix and try to edit a file that resides on the NAS (with an
AIX box) they get the following message...

"<filename> changed on disk, really edit the buffer(y,n,r or C-h)? "
The CU uses gnu emacs ver 21.1.1 and xemacs ver 21.1 (both were installed
from AIX  Toolbox for Linux Applications)
They do not get this error when using vi in the same environment.

The customer has input the following:
Open  a file with emacs, that resides on NAS file system.
Then try to open again (with  emacs), a file that resides on "pure" AIX
filesystem  i.e /tmp.
In both  files, write something, save it, and  just wait 1-2 min.
If your try to append something in both files, the result will not be the
same.
In the first case, you will get the message from emacs that ""<filename>
changed on disk, really edit the buffer(y,n,r or C-h)? ".

In the second case, if you try to append to the file that was opened from
/tmp, you will be able to append and continue writing with
no warnings.

The claim is that they are  be sure that the problem is related with NAS
and not with emacs.
I have combed the internet and found this message to be a superfluous,
common message.
Going onto discover that emacs uses buffers as it common element to save
and transfer files. It seems, buffer messages are routine.

The customer wishes to recreate the scenario on a standard W2K box running
SFU to see if it will show up there as well.
Based on my finding, this seems pointless.

Question:
1) Is this a common element found with emacs or windows in this type of
set up?
If so,
2) What is causing this message and what can the Customer do to prevent
it?

Thanks,

Jeff Leitner
Product Engineer | IBM  Storage Systems Group | SAN/NAS/Router Support
Internet mail:  leitnerj@us.ibm.com | Phone 919-254-0842 (TL 444) |  FAX
919-543-8677

My shipping address:

600 Park Offices Dr.
EC1A/Bldg 660/E208
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709

* Re: emacs question
       [not found] <mailman.6625.1099324620.2017.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-11-01 17:29 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2004-11-01 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jeffrey Leitner wrote:
 > They do not get this error when using vi in the same environment.

That is irrelevant, and besides vi sucks.

 > The customer has input the following:
 > Open  a file with emacs, that resides on NAS file system.
 > Then try to open again (with  emacs), a file that resides on "pure" AIX
 > filesystem  i.e /tmp.
 > In both  files, write something, save it, and  just wait 1-2 min.
 > If your try to append something in both files, the result will not be
 > the same.
 > In the first case, you will get the message from emacs that ""<filename>
 > changed on disk, really edit the buffer(y,n,r or C-h)? ".
 >
 > In the second case, if you try to append to the file that was opened
 > from /tmp, you will be able to append and continue writing with
 > no warnings.

Are the file server's and desktop's clocks precisely in sync?

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: emacs question
@ 2004-11-01 21:36 ` Ehud Karni
From: Ehud Karni @ 2004-11-01 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 10:47:55 -0500, Jeffrey Leitner <leitnerj@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> "<filename> changed on disk, really edit the buffer(y,n,r or C-h)? "
> The CU uses gnu emacs ver 21.1.1 and xemacs ver 21.1 (both were installed
> from AIX  Toolbox for Linux Applications)
> They do not get this error when using vi in the same environment.
>
> The customer has input the following:
> Open  a file with emacs, that resides on NAS file system.
> Then try to open again (with  emacs), a file that resides on "pure" AIX
> filesystem  i.e /tmp.
> In both  files, write something, save it, and  just wait 1-2 min.
> If your try to append something in both files, the result will not be the
> same.
> In the first case, you will get the message from emacs that ""<filename>
> changed on disk, really edit the buffer(y,n,r or C-h)? ".

The message is produced when the file modify time is NEWER than the
time of last save.

I almost sure that the clock of the NAS is wrong (it's time is in
the future). It can be easily checked by doing `touch' from the AIX
machine and checking the file time by `ls'. Something like:
  touch /tmp/aix-file /NAS/nas-file
  ls -l /tmp/aix-file /NAS/nas-file

Ehud.

--
 Ehud Karni           Tel: +972-3-7966-561  /"\
 Mivtach - Simon      Fax: +972-3-7966-667  \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign

* emacs question
@ 2004-12-14 19:45 Villa, Maria (HBO)
From: Villa, Maria (HBO) @ 2004-12-14 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi
I have few users that uses regular emacs on our aix unix servers.

They have a problem when want to delete a character or word, the backspace
key does not work.
how can we map a key to work with e-macs or how can we solve this problem

your help is appreciated.....

This e-mail is intended only for the use of the addressees.  Any copying, forwarding, printing or other use of this e-mail by persons other than the addressees is not authorized.  This e-mail may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure.  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately by return e-mail (including the original message in your reply) and then delete and discard all copies of the e-mail.  Thank you.

* Re: emacs question
@ 2004-12-14 22:04 ` Rodrigo Canellas
       [not found]   ` <mailman.6016.1103064708.27204.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Rodrigo Canellas @ 2004-12-14 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

In your .emacs, to map a key to a command, you can do like this;

(global-set-key [<KEY_ID>] '<COMMAND>)

where <KEY-ID> should be replaced with the identifier of the key, and
<COMMAND> should be replaced with the command you want to be executed when
<KEY-ID> is pressed.

For example,

(global-set-key [f9] 'compile)

would run the "compile" command when "F9" is pressed.

Hope it helps.

BTW, by your name I presume you speak portuguese, right?

--
Rodrigo Canellas
Engenheiro de Sistemas de Informação

* Re: emacs question
@ 2004-12-14 22:40   ` Harshdeep Jawanda
       [not found]   ` <mailman.6016.1103064708.27204.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Harshdeep Jawanda @ 2004-12-14 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Now that this topic has been brought up, it reminds to ask for a
solution to a problem I've been facing for a while.

I have the following entries in my .emacs file:

  (global-set-key [C-down] '"\C-u1\C-v")
  (global-set-key [C-up] '"\C-u1\M-v")

These key combinations are meant to scroll the buffer up or down when
I press the up-arrow or down-arrow, respectively, while holding the
Ctrl key (C-l is not good enough at times).

This works perfectly when I am using Emacs directly on computer I am
sitting at (Win XP, Win 2K and Debian Linux; would it be correct to
say "working at the console"?).

But when I am using emacs over an SSH connection (using putty;
connecting from home/office computer to university computers), this
doesn't work.

Any ideas why?

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 20:04:56 -0200, Rodrigo Canellas
<r.canellas@terra.com.br> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In your .emacs, to map a key to a command, you can do like this;
>
> (global-set-key [<KEY_ID>] '<COMMAND>)
>
> where <KEY-ID> should be replaced with the identifier of the key, and
> <COMMAND> should be replaced with the command you want to be executed when
> <KEY-ID> is pressed.
>
> For example,
>
> (global-set-key [f9] 'compile)
>
> would run the "compile" command when "F9" is pressed.
>
> Hope it helps.
>
> BTW, by your name I presume you speak portuguese, right?
>
> Em Terça 14 Dezembro 2004 17:45, Villa, Maria (HBO) escreveu:
> > Hi
> > I have few users that uses regular emacs on our aix unix servers.
> >
> > They have a problem when want to delete a character or word, the backspace
> > key does not work.
> > how can we map a key to work with e-macs or how can we solve this problem
> >
> > your help is appreciated.....
> >
> > ===========================================================================
> >=== This e-mail is intended only for the use of the addressees.  Any
> > copying, forwarding, printing or other use of this e-mail by persons other
> > than the addressees is not authorized.  This e-mail may contain information
> > that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure.  If you are
> > not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately by return e-mail
> > (including the original message in your reply) and then delete and discard
> > all copies of the e-mail.  Thank you.

> > Esta mensagem foi verificada pelo E-mail Protegido Terra.
> > Scan engine: McAfee VirusScan / Atualizado em 14/12/2004 / Versão: 4.4.00 -
> > Dat 4414 Proteja o seu e-mail Terra:
> > http://www.emailprotegido.terra.com.br/
>
> --
> Rodrigo Canellas
> Engenheiro de Sistemas de Informação

Harshdeep S Jawanda

   - 'Mahatma' Gandhi.

EGOTIST (n): A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in
me.
   - Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"

* Re: emacs question
       [not found]   ` <mailman.6016.1103064708.27204.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-12-15  1:18     ` Neil Woods
From: Neil Woods @ 2004-12-15  1:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Dec 14 2004, Harshdeep Jawanda wrote:
> Now that this topic has been brought up, it reminds to ask for a
> solution to a problem I've been facing for a while.
>
> I have the following entries in my .emacs file:
>
> (global-set-key [C-down] '"\C-u1\C-v")
> (global-set-key [C-up] '"\C-u1\M-v")
>
> These key combinations are meant to scroll the buffer up or down when
> I press the up-arrow or down-arrow, respectively, while holding the
> Ctrl key (C-l is not good enough at times).

Why not use the actual function names themselves?

I have this in my ~/.emacs:

;; Make control+pageup/down scroll the other buffer
(global-set-key [C-next] 'scroll-other-window)
(global-set-key [C-prior] 'scroll-other-window-down)

which seems more natural to me.

> This works perfectly when I am using Emacs directly on computer I am
> sitting at (Win XP, Win 2K and Debian Linux; would it be correct to
> say "working at the console"?).
>
> But when I am using emacs over an SSH connection (using putty;
> connecting from home/office computer to university computers), this
> doesn't work.
>
> Any ideas why?

Possibly the above may fix this.
--
Neil

* emacs question
@ 2004-12-15  6:54 ` Gian Uberto Lauri
From: Gian Uberto Lauri @ 2004-12-15  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: 'help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org'

VM(> They have a problem when want to delete a character or word, the backspace
VM(> key does not work.

If the backspace key sends  the Control-H character (aka help key, C-h
in  emacsese),  I think  that  the  best thing  is  to  remap the  key
externally (i.e. with X11 keyboard  configuration or stty - if I'm not
wrong I used it several years ago to "fix" HP terminals behaviour (but
it could do nothing for the keyboard itself :) ).

Else, try the C-h k and then the backspace key to discover how Emacs
sees that key, and then use the global-set-key function to set that
key to reassign it.

To put  it in  .emacs you  can do a  macro then  use this  function to
transform it in a function

(defun dv-functionize-kbd-macro (sym) "Make 'function' of kbd macro."
  (interactive "SName for last kbd macro and the 'function': ")
  (name-last-kbd-macro sym)
  (insert ";;  \n;;  \n")
  (insert-kbd-macro sym)
  (insert "(global-set-key \[")
  (save-excursion
    (insert (concat "\] '" (symbol-name sym) ")\n\n"))
    (fill-region (re-search-backward "^(") (re-search-backward "^ "))))

--
 /\            ___
/___/\__|_|\_|__|___Gian Uberto Lauri_____________________

* RE: emacs question
@ 2004-12-15 14:41 Villa, Maria (HBO)
From: Villa, Maria (HBO) @ 2004-12-15 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Rodrigo:
thanks for your help, but It still does not work for me.
this is what I did:
1) emacs .emacs
2) enter (global-set-key [f9] 'delete)
3) C-z to save and exit the file
4) I emacs temp.out file typed some letters and when hit the f9 key, it does
not work.

What am i missing.....

       [not found] <mailman.5982.1103055549.27204.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-12-15 15:20 ` kgold
From: kgold @ 2004-12-15 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Villa, Maria (HBO)" <Maria.Villa@hbo.com> writes:

> I have few users that uses regular emacs on our aix unix servers.
>
> They have a problem when want to delete a character or word, the backspace
> key does not work.
> how can we map a key to work with e-macs or how can we solve this problem

This is a FAQ:

124: Why does the "Backspace" key invoke help?

  The "Backspace" key (on most keyboards) generates ASCII code 8.  `C-h'
  sends the same code.  In Emacs by default `C-h' invokes help-command.
  This is intended to be easy to remember since the first letter of "help"
  is `h'.  The easiest solution to this problem is to use `C-h' (and
  Backspace) for help and DEL (the Delete key) for deleting the previous
  character.

  For many people this solution may be problematic:

  * They normally use Backspace outside of Emacs for deleting the previous
    character.  This can be solved by making DEL the command for deleting
    the previous character outside of Emacs.  On many Unix systems, this
    command will remap DEL:

      stty erase `^?'

  * The person may prefer using the Backspace key for deleting the previous
    character because it is more conveniently located on their keyboard or
    because they don't even have a separate Delete key.  In this case, the
    Backspace key should be made to behave like Delete.  There are several
    methods.

  * Some terminals (e.g., VT3## terminals) allow the character generated by
    the Backspace key to be changed from a setup menu.

  * You may be able to get a keyboard that is completely programmable.

  * Under X or on a dumb terminal, it is possible to swap the Backspace and
    Delete keys inside Emacs:

      (keyboard-translate ?\C-h ?\C-?)

    See question 126 for further details of "keyboard-translate".

  * Another approach is to switch key bindings and put help on "C-x h"
    instead:

      (global-set-key "\C-h" 'delete-backward-char)
      (global-set-key "\C-xh" 'help-command) ;; overrides mark-whole-buffer

    Other popular key bindings for help are M-? and "C-x ?".

    NOTE: * Don't try to bind DEL to help-command, because there are many
            modes that have local bindings of DEL that will interfere.

* Re: emacs question
@ 2004-12-15 15:32       ` Harshdeep Jawanda
From: Harshdeep Jawanda @ 2004-12-15 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

The thing is, I don't want to scroll the other window, I want to
scroll the current one, the one that has the point in it.

I tried the lines you suggested, and what it does is page-up and
page-down in the other window, neither of which is the behavior I am
looking for (not that it isn't useful).  I want line-up and line-down
in the current window.

To understand better what I am trying to achieve with those
configuration lines, one could put them in their .emacs file and try
it out.  I am reproducing the lines below:
    (global-set-key [C-down] '"\C-u1\C-v")
    (global-set-key [C-up] '"\C-u1\M-v")

Thanks for the help, but that's not quite what I am looking for.

The problem is only that this global-set-key doesn't work over SSH.
What could be the reason for global-set-key not working over SSH?

Would it help if instead of directly writing '"\C-u1\C-v" I made it
into a function and then called the function?  As I don't know elisp,
could somebody help me by writing out this function for me :-)?

PS: To make a line visible in the buffer that has previously scrolled
off the window, one normally has to move point up (or down) a few
lines, do C-l, then check to see if the desired line is in view.  If
not, then repeat process.  I find this super-clumsy (can't understand
how RMS thought that was the way to go).

So my desire was/is to have the kind of scroll functionality I've seen
in some Windows editors.

@ 2004-12-15 16:00 ` Gian Uberto Lauri
From: Gian Uberto Lauri @ 2004-12-15 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

VM> Hi Rodrigo:
VM> thanks for your help, but It still does not work for me.
VM> this is what I did:
VM> 1) emacs .emacs
VM> 2) enter (global-set-key [f9] 'delete)
VM> 3) C-z to save and exit the file

C-z ? Is it the Gnu Emacs ???

Maybe it's a local setting, I suppose.

--
 /\            ___

@ 2004-12-15 16:36     ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2004-12-15 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Harshdeep Jawanda wrote:
 > I have the following entries in my .emacs file:
 >
 >   (global-set-key [C-down] '"\C-u1\C-v")
 >   (global-set-key [C-up] '"\C-u1\M-v")

Note that '"string" is equivalent to just "string", since strings are
self-evaluating forms aka constants.

 > These key combinations are meant to scroll the buffer up or down when
 > I press the up-arrow or down-arrow, respectively, while holding the
 > Ctrl key (C-l is not good enough at times).
 >
 > This works perfectly when I am using Emacs directly on computer I am
 > sitting at (Win XP, Win 2K and Debian Linux; would it be correct to
 > say "working at the console"?).
 >
 > But when I am using emacs over an SSH connection (using putty;
 > connecting from home/office computer to university computers), this
 > doesn't work.
 >
 > Any ideas why?

What do these commands report:

C-h k C-down
C-h k C-up

C-g C-down C-g C-up C-g C-h l

--
Kevin Rodgers

* emacs Question
@ 2008-11-11 17:02 Craig Petty
       [not found] ` <mailman.90.1226429278.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Craig Petty @ 2008-11-11 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

How do i install linum.el on fedora 9 and what file do i need to put it in?

* Re: emacs Question
@ 2008-11-11 18:47 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.90.1226429278.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-11-11 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fasteliteprogrammer; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 11.11.2008 um 18:02 schrieb Craig Petty:

> How do i install linum.el on fedora 9 and what file do i need to
> put it in?

Look up the value of load-path and then put the file into one of
these directories, either a private one or for example into one site-
lisp directory, depending on whether the ELisp file depends on some
particular version of GNU Emacs or not.

--
Greetings

   Pete

The future will be much better tomorrow.
				– George W. Bush

* Re: emacs Question
       [not found] ` <mailman.90.1226429278.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-11-12  3:44   ` TheFlyingDutchman
From: TheFlyingDutchman @ 2008-11-12  3:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Nov 11, 10:47 am, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyba...@Web.DE> wrote:
> Am 11.11.2008 um 18:02 schrieb Craig Petty:
>
> > How do i install linum.el on fedora 9 and what file do i need to
> > put it in?
>
> Look up the value of load-path

In case the poster is not familiar how to do this it is
ctrl-h (control key + h key together) followed by the "v key" followed
by "load-path"

> and then put the file into one of
> these directories, either a private one or for example into one site-
> lisp directory, depending on whether the ELisp file depends on some
> particular version of GNU Emacs or not.

Or you can make a new directory for all of your added Emacs Lisp
(*.el) files. One named something like elisp or EmacsLisp under your
home directory. Then you can tell Emacs how to find this new directory
by adding this to your .emacs file (which is in your home directory).

(add-to-list 'load-path (expand-file-name "~/elisp/") )
    or
(add-to-list 'load-path (expand-file-name "~/EmacsLisp/") )

And I believe you should also add

(require 'linum)

to the .emacs file as well, to avoid having to load it each time you
want to use it.

* emacs question
@ 2008-11-26 13:44 Craig Petty
From: Craig Petty @ 2008-11-26 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

where do i get emacs 23 for fedora 10?

* emacs question
       [not found] <AANLkTincb2ng8o-4T3_BRiDU6vFjpPVCqbsjUoXLYE6p@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2010-05-20 14:27 ` Rina & Avner
From: Rina & Avner @ 2010-05-20 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm looking for a way to create a new emacs font-lock 'XXX-mode' and to add
to it a very big set of strings. (VLSI netlist names, sch format)

Can you help with some directives?

my target is to teach emacs my VLSI sch (schem format)

in order to lower number of typos....

Thanks

Avner Ullman

* Re: emacs question
@ 2010-05-21  1:27   ` Lennart Borgman
       [not found]   ` <mailman.5.1274448820.9020.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2010-05-21  1:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rina & Avner; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 4:27 PM, Rina & Avner <avnerina@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm looking for a way to create a new emacs font-lock 'XXX-mode' and to add
> to it a very big set of strings. (VLSI netlist names, sch format)
>
> Can you help with some directives?
>
> my target is to teach emacs my VLSI sch (schem format)
>
> in order to lower number of typos....

Are you sure you do not want to use spell checking with flyspell-mode instead?

* Re: emacs question
@ 2010-05-21 13:33   ` Tassilo Horn
       [not found]   ` <mailman.5.1274448820.9020.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2010-05-21 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Rina & Avner" <avnerina@gmail.com> writes:

Hi!

> I'm looking for a way to create a new emacs font-lock 'XXX-mode' and
> to add to it a very big set of strings. (VLSI netlist names, sch
> format)
>
> Can you help with some directives?

Well, if you only want to do some highlighting, you probably want to
start with `define-generic-mode'.

,----[ C-h f define-generic-mode RET ]
| define-generic-mode is a Lisp macro in `generic.el'.
|
| (define-generic-mode MODE COMMENT-LIST KEYWORD-LIST FONT-LOCK-LIST
| AUTO-MODE-LIST FUNCTION-LIST &optional DOCSTRING)
|
| Create a new generic mode MODE.
|
| MODE is the name of the command for the generic mode; don't quote it.
| The optional DOCSTRING is the documentation for the mode command.  If
| you do not supply it, `define-generic-mode' uses a default
| documentation string instead.
|
| COMMENT-LIST is a list in which each element is either a character, a
| string of one or two characters, or a cons cell.  A character or a
| string is set up in the mode's syntax table as a "comment starter".
| If the entry is a cons cell, the `car' is set up as a "comment
| starter" and the `cdr' as a "comment ender".  (Use nil for the
| latter if you want comments to end at the end of the line.)  Note that
| the syntax table has limitations about what comment starters and
| enders are actually possible.
|
| KEYWORD-LIST is a list of keywords to highlight with
| `font-lock-keyword-face'.  Each keyword should be a string.
|
| FONT-LOCK-LIST is a list of additional expressions to highlight.  Each
| element of this list should have the same form as an element of
| `font-lock-keywords'.
|
| AUTO-MODE-LIST is a list of regular expressions to add to
| `auto-mode-alist'.  These regular expressions are added when Emacs
| runs the macro expansion.
|
| FUNCTION-LIST is a list of functions to call to do some additional
| setup.  The mode command calls these functions just before it runs the
| mode hook `MODE-hook'.
|
| See the file generic-x.el for some examples of `define-generic-mode'.
`----

For additional infos, have a look at the elisp docs.

,----[ (info "(elisp)Major Modes") ]
| Major modes specialize Emacs for editing particular kinds of text.
| Each buffer has only one major mode at a time.
`----

That for major modes, and that for font locking (highlighting):

,----[ (info "(elisp)Font Lock Mode") ]
| "Font Lock mode" is a feature that automatically attaches `face'
| properties to certain parts of the buffer based on their syntactic
| role.  How it parses the buffer depends on the major mode; most major
| modes define syntactic criteria for which faces to use in which
| contexts.  This section explains how to customize Font Lock for a
| particular major mode.
`----

This should get you started.  Come back when you have a specific
question.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: emacs question
       [not found]   ` <mailman.5.1274448820.9020.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2010-05-24  0:28     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-05-24  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Well, if you only want to do some highlighting, you probably want to
> start with `define-generic-mode'.

I generally recommend people stay away from define-generic-mode because
it's a dead-end, and my experience sooner or later the user will want to
do something which is too cumbersome with define-generic-mode.
I wrote sample-mode.el for that purpose.

* EMACS question
@ 2013-01-13 17:48 Kurt Jordan
From: Kurt Jordan @ 2013-01-13 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi there,

When I attempt to open a new file or save a file, I am unsuccessful.

Emacs attempts to put the file in C:/Windows/System32/  which is protected.

How do I change the default directory for program files I am editing with
Emacs?

Thanks for your help,

Kurt

Kurt Jordan

726 Cypress Drive

Franklin Square, NY 11010

516-784-0555

kdjordan@gmail.com

* RE: EMACS question
@ 2013-01-13 19:10 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2013-01-13 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Kurt Jordan', help-gnu-emacs

> How do I change the default directory for program files I am
> editing with Emacs?

M-x cd RET

* Re: EMACS question
@ 2013-01-13 19:51 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-01-13 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: "Kurt Jordan" <kdjordan@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 12:48:18 -0500
>
> How do I change the default directory for program files I am editing with
> Emacs?

Set the "Start in" field of the Emacs desktop shortcut's Properties.