all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* restore comint-dynamic-complete-functions as a local variable
@ 2004-11-06 17:12 Stephen Eglen
From: Stephen Eglen @ 2004-11-06 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

In Emacs 21.2, comint-dynamic-complete-functions was set to be
buffer-local using:

  (make-local-hook 'comint-dynamic-complete-functions)

In Emacs CVS this is no longer the case, since make-local-hook is
obsolete.  It is still documented (line 304 of comint.el) as a buffer
local variable, and yet it is no longer local.  Is this just an
accidental omission, or something intentional?  I'd suggest it be
buffer-local again - any objections?

The relevant change log entry is:

revision 1.251
date: 2001/11/16 14:22:03;  author: monnier;  state: Exp;  lines: +6 -16
(comint-mode): Simplify.
(make-comint-in-buffer): Run `comint-mode' only if necessary.

Thanks, Stephen

* Re: restore comint-dynamic-complete-functions as a local variable
@ 2004-11-08 14:57 ` Stefan
From: Stefan @ 2004-11-08 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> In Emacs 21.2, comint-dynamic-complete-functions was set to be
> buffer-local using:

>   (make-local-hook 'comint-dynamic-complete-functions)

> In Emacs CVS this is no longer the case, since make-local-hook is
> obsolete.  It is still documented (line 304 of comint.el) as a buffer
> local variable, and yet it is no longer local.  Is this just an
> accidental omission, or something intentional?  I'd suggest it be
> buffer-local again - any objections?

What does it mean for it to be "buffer-local"?
Does anyone incorrectly set it with `setq' rather than `add-hook'?