all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How do I change my default language environment to English?
@ 2008-04-08  2:48 ExitMoose
From: ExitMoose @ 2008-04-08  2:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

After reading some positive things about using Emacs in place of an IDE for
python, I decided to try it out on my Windows box.  I work in Japan, so I
suppose Emacs grabbed my locale from the Japanese version of windows I'm
running on this machine, and so now the default language environment is
Japanese.  Of course, I can just set-language-environment to English each
time I start up, but I'm looking for a more permanent solution.  How do I
change it so Emacs starts up in English instead of in Japanese?

Remember, I'm completely new to Emacs.

Thanks for the help!

* Re: How do I change my default language environment to English?
       [not found] <mailman.10145.1207659113.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-04-08 14:54 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2008-04-08 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Apr 8, 3:48 am, ExitMoose <vogelp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Of course, I can just set-language-environment to English each
> time I start up, but I'm looking for a more permanent solution.  How do I
> change it so Emacs starts up in English instead of in Japanese?

In Emacs, find-file (C-x C-f) ~/.emacs

This will probably be a new file, unless you've already saved some
customizations.

At the top of the file, put:

(set-language-environment "English")

C-x C-s to save, and next time you start Emacs, it will be executed
for you automatically.

Alternatively, if this is bothering you in other programs too, you
could go into the Regional Settings control panel, and change the
language in the dropdown menu on both the first and last tabs to one
of the English options (you can customize the settings on the first
tab if you want to get the date and currency back to Japanese format).