all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs 21.3 crash/HTML editing
@ 2003-11-04 23:49 Robert McDonald
From: Robert McDonald @ 2003-11-04 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Emacs 21.3 under Windows 2000 is generally quite reliable, but I find it
crashes from time to time when I am editing html files using
html-helper-mode (3.0.4jolly). I will try to figure out next time what
might be happening, but I wondered first if there is a known problem or
if I'm using an  inappropriate version of html-helper-mode.el. I am
always editing a file over the network (via a windows domain login) when
this happens and I am connecting via a mapped drive. I'm not good at
debugging emacs crashes because it almost never happened with versions
prior to 21.3.

Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks!

Bob

* Emacs 21.3 crash/HTML editing
@ 2003-11-05  8:41 ` Gian Uberto Lauri
       [not found] ` <mailman.3194.1068021701.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Gian Uberto Lauri @ 2003-11-05  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

RM> Emacs 21.3 under Windows 2000 is generally quite reliable, but I find it
RM> crashes from time to time when I am editing html files using
RM> html-helper-mode (3.0.4jolly). I will try to figure out next time what
RM> might be happening, but I wondered first if there is a known problem

None AFAIK. What kind of crash ?

 /\            ___
/___/\__|_|\_|__|___Gian Uberto Lauri_____________________
  //--\ | | \|  |   Integralista GNUslamico e fancazzista
\/

* Re: Emacs 21.3 crash/HTML editing
       [not found] ` <mailman.3194.1068021701.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-11-05 14:38   ` Robert McDonald
From: Robert McDonald @ 2003-11-05 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gian Uberto Lauri wrote:

> None AFAIK. What kind of crash ?

I don't remember the exact message. A dialog box pops up, says that
emacs has done something it shouldn't, and the box has abort, retry, and
ignore buttons, which makes me think the problem is related to the fact
that I'm accessing the file over the network. But it doesn't look like a
Windows dialog.

Since there's nothing you know about I will try to pin this down. Are
there any log files I should be looking for when this happens? (Again,
this is under Windows 2000.)

Thanks!

Bob

@ 2003-11-05 14:51 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-11-05 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Emacs 21.3 under Windows 2000 is generally quite reliable, but I find it
> crashes from time to time when I am editing html files using
> html-helper-mode (3.0.4jolly). I will try to figure out next time what might
> be happening, but I wondered first if there is a known problem or if I'm
> using an  inappropriate version of html-helper-mode.el. I am always editing
> a file over the network (via a windows domain login) when this happens and
> I am connecting via a mapped drive. I'm not good at debugging emacs crashes
> because it almost never happened with versions prior to 21.3.

No matter how badly written an elisp package is, it shouldn't
cause Emacs to crash.  Check the etc/DEBUG file for indications
about what you should do.
If you don't have access to a debugger on your machine, the only
useful info is a precise recipe to reproduce the problem.

* Re: Emacs 21.3 crash/HTML editing
@ 2003-11-05 15:09   ` Robert McDonald
From: Robert McDonald @ 2003-11-05 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stefan Monnier wrote:

> No matter how badly written an elisp package is, it shouldn't
> cause Emacs to crash.  Check the etc/DEBUG file for indications
> about what you should do.

Thanks very much for the pointer to etc/DEBUG. I have cygwin with gdb
installed so when I get some time I'll try to figure out how to proceed.

Bob

* Re: Emacs 21.3 crash/HTML editing
@ 2003-11-05 15:30   ` Gian Uberto Lauri
From: Gian Uberto Lauri @ 2003-11-05 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

SM> No matter how badly written an elisp package is

You can take html-helper-mode as a 0 (like 0 Kelvin), anything is over :)