all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* buffer uid
@ 2003-10-10 17:48 Arthur Davis
From: Arthur Davis @ 2003-10-10 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is it possible to open a buffer and edit it as a different user?  In
other words, if I have two user accounts, can I run emacs from one
account and edit a file owned by the other account (and not writable
by the account running emacs)?

[parent not found: <mailman.1502.1065808219.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>]
* RE: buffer uid
@ 2003-10-16 13:30 andrew.maguire
From: andrew.maguire @ 2003-10-16 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Is it possible to open a buffer and edit it as a different user?  In
> other words, if I have two user accounts, can I run emacs from one
> account and edit a file owned by the other account (and not writable
> by the account running emacs)?

If you have ftp access then you can try and use find-file with a path:

/user@host:/path/to/file

you will then be prompted for a password if necessary.
host can be "localhost" to use the same machine.
You can omit "user@" if you want to login as yourself.

Andrew

[parent not found: <mailman.1794.1066311260.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>]