all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* 1)Vm and bbdb. 2)Font lock in many frames.
@ 2003-09-09 12:30 Saurabh Kapoor
From: Saurabh Kapoor @ 2003-09-09 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

I use VM as my mail client under emacs and use bbdb integration with
it. I've got the following lines in my .vm which setup bbdb for vm.

(bbdb-initialize 'vm)
(bbdb-insinuate-vm)

Now, when i check email, for every message that I'm viewing and for
which there is an entry in the address book, a little bbdb window is
created which tells me the details of the contact. This takes up quite
some space on my screen. Is there a way to configure things such that
the window is created only if i want to?

The second problem that I face is that when I use multiple frames, in
certain buffers, font lock stops working. Only very few keywords and
comment regions get fontified. Can this be fixed?

Thanks,

Saurabh

--
"...BACKWARDS understood be only can but,
    forwards lived be must Life"

* Re: 1)Vm and bbdb. 2)Font lock in many frames.
       [not found] <mailman.56.1063110935.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-09-09 14:14 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2003-09-09 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Saurabh Kapoor wrote:

> Now, when i check email, for every message that I'm viewing and for
> which there is an entry in the address book, a little bbdb window is
> created which tells me the details of the contact. This takes up
> quite some space on my screen. Is there a way to configure things
> such that the window is created only if i want to?

(setq bbdb-use-pop-up nil) to prevent automatic showing of the
window, then hit `:' to view it manually.

> The second problem that I face is that when I use multiple frames, in
> certain buffers, font lock stops working. Only very few keywords and
> comment regions get fontified. Can this be fixed?

Probably, but that description is rather vague. Could you give a
recipe illustrating how to produce the problem from a named version of
Emacs started with -q --no-site-file?

@ 2003-09-09 17:09 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-09-09 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Saurabh Kapoor wrote:

> I use VM as my mail client under emacs and use bbdb integration with
> it. I've got the following lines in my .vm which setup bbdb for vm.
>
> (bbdb-initialize 'vm)
> (bbdb-insinuate-vm)
>
> Now, when i check email, for every message that I'm viewing and for
> which there is an entry in the address book, a little bbdb window is
> created which tells me the details of the contact. This takes up quite
> some space on my screen. Is there a way to configure things such that
> the window is created only if i want to?

I don't know, but an alternative would be to have it displayed in a

separate frame: see the special-display-buffer-names variable.

--
Kevin Rodgers