all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* shift+up received as <select>, breaking Emacs 24 "shift select" (like pc-select)
@ 2011-04-26 17:46 Brett Hoerner
From: Brett Hoerner @ 2011-04-26 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

If I start Emacs 24 with emacs -nw -Q in any (default configured) terminal editor like gnome-terminal or Terminal.app, shift+up is received as "<select>".

In other words,

C-h k <shift>+<right> = right-char
C-h k <up> = previous-line

The problem is that shift+left,right,down all select/mark text in that direction in Emacs 24, but shift+up does nothing. Now, I'm further confused by how "shift" comes into play, since those are all bound to things like "right-char" not something like "mark-right-char". So when I go ahead and make a binding like,

(define-key global-map (kbd "<select>") 'previous-line)

I think I have two separate issues (or confusions) here. Any help is greatly appreciated.