all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: What OS is used By Richard Stallman
@ 2018-09-25  4:42 microsoft gaofei
From: microsoft gaofei @ 2018-09-25  4:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms@gnu.org; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, fw@deneb.enyo.de

https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/categories.html    . You said, some private software is also free and isn't released to public domain. Can that be free and closed-source at the same time?

* Re: What OS is used By Richard Stallman
@ 2018-09-25  4:49 ` Brett Gilio
From: Brett Gilio @ 2018-09-25  4:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 09/24/2018 11:42 PM, microsoft gaofei wrote:
> https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/categories.html    . You said, some private software is also free and isn't released to public domain. Can that be free and closed-source at the same time?

No. By the four software freedoms, one must be able to modify the code
of any piece of free software. This requires the code in its original,
unobfuscated non-binary form. When RMS says that software may be private
and free, he likely means that it can be developed by a private business
for industry. But, again, for it to be free it must retain the four
essential freedoms.

https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.en.html

Best,

Brett

* Re: What OS is used By Richard Stallman
@ 2018-09-25  7:20 ` Van L
From: Van L @ 2018-09-25  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: microsoft gaofei; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

> public domain

I believe that term has been
weasel worded and lawyeringly put to death and
does not mean strictly what ordinary
people walking their dog at the park loosely
take it to innocently mean (IANAL).

* Re: What OS is used By Richard Stallman
@ 2018-09-25 23:03 ` Richard Stallman
       [not found]   ` <MWHPR02MB2463038E8BBAE60667E45ADAD4150@MWHPR02MB2463.namprd02.prod.outlook.com>
From: Richard Stallman @ 2018-09-25 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: microsoft gaofei; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, fw

  > https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/categories.html . You said, some
  > private software is also free and isn't released to public
  > domain.

It is free, and it is not released _at all_.  (That's what "private"
means.)

	    Can that be free and closed-source at the same time?

I don't care much what is or isn't open source.  For why I don't care,
see https://gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html.

--
Dr Richard Stallman

* Re: 答复: What OS is used By Richard Stallman
       [not found]   ` <MWHPR02MB2463038E8BBAE60667E45ADAD4150@MWHPR02MB2463.namprd02.prod.outlook.com>
@ 2018-09-26 23:17     ` Richard Stallman
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1360.1538003852.1284.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Richard Stallman @ 2018-09-26 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: microsoft gaofei; +Cc: van, help-gnu-emacs

  > Should we pronounce the slash in GNU/Linux?

It is best to do so.  "GNU Linux" would mean something different.

See https://gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html, plus the history in
https://gnu.org/gnu/the-gnu-project.html.

--
Dr Richard Stallman

@ 2018-09-27 10:42       ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2018-09-27 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Richard Stallman wrote:

> It is best to do so. "GNU Linux" would mean
> something different.

Interesting - what would that be, exactly?
A Linux fork (kernel fork) developed and
sanctioned by the GNU project?

Perhaps not such a bad idea, only I take it it
has been considered at some point?

Even so, wouldn't the correct designation -
correct by the GNU standards - still
be "GNU GNU/Linux"?

Or GNU² Linux, pronounced "Gnu Square Linux" :)

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: ç­”å¤ : What OS is used By Richard Stallman
@ 2018-09-27 13:38       ` Yuri Khan
From: Yuri Khan @ 2018-09-27 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: van, help-gnu-emacs, wangziheng

On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 6:17 AM Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:

>   > Should we pronounce the slash in GNU/Linux?
>
> It is best to do so.  "GNU Linux" would mean something different.

I [always?] took the slash to be pronounced “over” as in fractions.
Makes it look like a stack — GNU userland over Linux kernel.

* Re: ç­”å¤ : What OS is used By Richard Stallman
@ 2018-09-27 23:25         ` Richard Stallman
       [not found]           ` <mailman.1428.1538095954.1284.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Richard Stallman @ 2018-09-27 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yuri Khan; +Cc: van, help-gnu-emacs, wangziheng

  > I [always?] took the slash to be pronounced “over” as in fractions.
  > Makes it look like a stack — GNU userland over Linux kernel.

Interesting interpretation, but it isn't what I have in mind.
"GNU/Linux" is intended to mean the GNU system with Linux.
"GNU+Linux" and "GNU-Linux" are also reasonable ways to write that.

--
Dr Richard Stallman

* Re: ç­”å¤ : What OS is used By Richard Stallman
@ 2018-09-28  0:52           ` Van L
       [not found]           ` <mailman.1428.1538095954.1284.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Van L @ 2018-09-28  0:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

> "GNU/Linux" is intended to mean the GNU system with Linux.
> "GNU+Linux" and "GNU-Linux" are also reasonable ways to write that.

"GNU/.Linux" or "GNU/.NetBSD" or "GNU/.Lisp" makes sense for those who care to look under the hood.

@ 2018-09-28 12:47             ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2018-09-28 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Van L wrote:

>> "GNU/Linux" is intended to mean the GNU
>> system with Linux. "GNU+Linux" and
>> "GNU-Linux" are also reasonable ways to
>> write that.
>
> "GNU/.Linux" or "GNU/.NetBSD" or "GNU/.Lisp"
> makes sense for those who care to look under
> the hood.

Shouldn't it be "Linux+GNU" then as Linux is
the kernel and GNU a large part of the rest of
the software, that is closer to the user?

OTOH many people are using Emacs, gcc etc to
develop/modify Linux so I suppose it is
a chicken or egg discussion.