all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: ispell.el to use aspell
       [not found] <mailman.3411.1048159801.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-03-20 11:44 ` Bastien Guerry
From: Bastien Guerry @ 2003-03-20 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Luis O. Silva" <silva@paloma.spbu.ru> writes:

> After reading the headers of ispell.el I came to the conclusion that
> I must indicate emacs that the checker is aspell, but I was unable
> to find the correct variable to set. Thank you very much for any
> help.

(setq ispell-program-name "aspell")

Hope this helps.

regards,

--
Bastien

* ispell.el to use aspell
@ 2003-03-20 11:54 Luis O. Silva
From: Luis O. Silva @ 2003-03-20 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Emacs Community,

In my system (GNU/Linux, Emacs 21.1.1) the only spell-checker
is aspell. The package come with a script which allows to use
this program as if it were ispell. When spelling-checking a
large tex file I had always the well known "misalignment"
problem. But recently I was told that the latest version of
ispell.el solves this problem. Thus, I upgraded my ispell.el
to version 3.6, but without success. Emacs just freezes when
trying to spelling check a large tex file. After reading the
headers of ispell.el I came to the conclusion that I must
indicate emacs that the checker is aspell, but I was unable to
find the correct variable to set. Thank you very much for any
help.

Regards,
luis

--
Luis Octavio Silva P.
St. Petersburg State University.

* Re: ispell.el to use aspell
@ 2003-03-20 18:01   ` Luis O. Silva
From: Luis O. Silva @ 2003-03-20 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hello Bastien,

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 12:44:36 +0100, Bastien Guerry writes:

   > "Luis O. Silva" <silva@paloma.spbu.ru> writes:
   >> After reading the headers of ispell.el I came to the
   >> conclusion that I must indicate emacs that the checker
   >> is aspell, but I was unable to find the correct variable
   >> to set. Thank you very much for any help.

   > (setq ispell-program-name "aspell")
   > Hope this helps.

Thank you for the help. I set the variable, but unfortunately
the problem persists. Emacs freezes when checking the spelling
of a buffer or a big region of a tex file. It perfectly works
for example checking this message. Is it possible that the
problem is in my old version of AucTeX (10.0)? Perhaps I must
install ispell for this to work?

Regards,
luis

--

@ 2003-03-20 22:12     ` Luis O. Silva
From: Luis O. Silva @ 2003-03-20 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 21:01:36 +0300, Luis O Silva writes:

   >>> (setq ispell-program-name "aspell") Hope this helps.

   >> Thank you for the help. I set the variable, but
   >> unfortunately the problem persists. Emacs freezes when
   >> checking the spelling of a buffer or a big region of a
   >> tex file. It perfectly works for example checking this
   >> message. Is it possible that the problem is in my old
   >> version of AucTeX (10.0)? Perhaps I must install ispell
   >> for this to work?

Sorry for continuing the thread by myself. I did some tests
and of course the problem is that a conflict between ispell.el
and aspell persists. In all tex files I tested I obtained that
either Emacs freezed (well C-g allowed to quit the checking)
for non-autonomous tex files or it gave a misalignment error
for autonomous tex files. It is a little upsetting that in my
not-to-long wonderful experience with GNU Emacs I haven't been
able to implement the GNU spelling checker (well I can check
a short region, a word, and my e-mail messages).

Does anyone use aspell within Emacs?

Thanks in advance,
luis