all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* changing the shape/visability of the mouse-pointer
@ 2003-01-23 22:40 don fisher
From: don fisher @ 2003-01-23 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

I do not subscribe normally to this list, so please copy me direct. Is
there any way to change the mouse pointer from XC_xterm to something
else. When I use small fonts, this cursor is hard to track/see.

XC_sb_v_double_arrow is similar, but XC_top_left_arrow would work also.

I can recompile the code, but I assumed there must be an easier way.
Sorry if this is a real dumb one;-)

don

* Re: changing the shape/visability of the mouse-pointer
       [not found] <mailman.891.1043361727.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-01-24  0:28 ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found]   ` <3E308D6D.6070805@as.arizona.edu>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-01-24  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

don fisher wrote:

> I do not subscribe normally to this list, so please copy me direct. Is
> there any way to change the mouse pointer from XC_xterm to something
> else. When I use small fonts, this cursor is hard to track/see.
>
> XC_sb_v_double_arrow is similar, but XC_top_left_arrow would work also.
>
> I can recompile the code, but I assumed there must be an easier way.
> Sorry if this is a real dumb one;-)

(setq x-pointer-shape x-pointer-sb-v-double-arrow)	; or x-pointer-top-left-arrow

--

@ 2003-01-24  0:58     ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-01-24  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

don fisher writes:
> Thanks for your quick response. I tried the command you suggested, then
> examined the variable. I shows 116, which according to my Xlib ref
> manual is the XC_sb_v_double_arrow. But when I move the cursor around, I
> still have the I beam. Is there any trick to turning it on?
>
> x-pointer-shape's value is
> 116

File: elisp,  Node: Pointer Shapes,  Next: X Selections,  Prev: Dialog Boxes,  Up: Frames

   The values you can use, to specify either of these pointer shapes,
are defined in the file `lisp/term/x-win.el'.  Use `M-x apropos RET
x-pointer RET' to see a list of them.

> Documentation:
> The shape of the pointer when over text.
> Changing the value does not affect existing frames
> unless you set the mouse color.

> Is it correct to assume the above comment does not apply if I start a
> fresh emacs session?

I guess not.