all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* editing previous command in the *shell* buffer
@ 2015-04-27 23:06 cplum987
From: cplum987 @ 2015-04-27 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

How can I do one or both of the following:

(1) Find a previous command in the *shell* buffer via search C-s, and have pressing enter insert the command as the current command, but without execution. This would allow me to edit the command before executing it, but not have to modify the command as it previously exists in the *shell* buffer.

(2) type the first part of the command, and have M-p search for the previous occurrence of the command that starts with the same pattern I've typed in. This is an xemacs feature I sorely miss.  C-s just isn't the same. If often finds all sorts of other cruft you have to skip over.
thanks,

thanks,

Chris