all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* I want an unsaveable buffer
@ 2014-08-04 15:48 Doug Lewan
From: Doug Lewan @ 2014-08-04 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

I work in *scratch* a lot, /and/ I save (C-xC-s) very frequently just as a matter of habit. The consequence is that I find myself typing to the "File to save in:" prompt when I just want to continue working.

Turning off or remapping C-xC-s in *scratch* is easy enough, but the obviously useful generalization is to turn saving off in any new buffer not associated with a regular file. (Writing buffer contents would remain, but you already have to think when you want that.)

The natural route is to write a hook for buffer creation. The only hook I can find for that is buffer-list-update-hook which is also run on renaming, deletion, etc. I can imagine grabbing the output of (backtrace) to look at how the hook was called, but that no longer feels natural to me.

Does anyone know of a natural approach to this?

Thanks.

,Doug
Douglas Lewan
Shubert Ticketing
(201) 489-8600 ext 224

Hazmat condition: There's some emacs on the floor.

* Re: I want an unsaveable buffer
@ 2014-08-04 17:12 ` Grant Rettke
From: Grant Rettke @ 2014-08-04 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Doug Lewan; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Totally understood and now I want to tell you on real-auto-save
because I too am a recovering C-x C-s addict.

I add a hook to any buffer that needs it and forget about worrying
about saving all the time.
Grant Rettke | ACM, ASA, FSF, IEEE, SIAM
gcr@wisdomandwonder.com | http://www.wisdomandwonder.com/
“Wisdom begins in wonder.” --Socrates
((λ (x) (x x)) (λ (x) (x x)))
“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop
taking it seriously.” --Thompson

@ 2014-08-04 18:37 ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2014-08-04 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Doug Lewan <dougl@shubertticketing.com> writes:

> Does anyone know of a natural approach to this?

Maybe the following approach would be simpler:

  - define a command `my-save-buffer-maybe' that calls
    `buffer-file-name', and does `save-buffer' when it returns a file,
    but does nothing when it returns nil

  - define a minor-mode that binds [remap save-buffer] to
    `my-save-buffer-maybe' (or use just `global-set-key')

Michael.

* RE: I want an unsaveable buffer
@ 2014-08-04 21:41   ` Doug Lewan
From: Doug Lewan @ 2014-08-04 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Heerdegen, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Very reasonable. Thanks.

@ 2014-08-05  5:28 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2014-08-05  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 8/4/14 9:48 AM, Doug Lewan wrote:
> I work in *scratch* a lot, /and/ I save (C-xC-s) very frequently just as a matter of habit. The consequence is that I find myself typing to the "File to save in:" prompt when I just want to continue working.
>
> Turning off or remapping C-xC-s in *scratch* is easy enough, but the obviously useful generalization is to turn saving off in any new buffer not associated with a regular file. (Writing buffer contents would remain, but you already have to think when you want that.)
>
> The natural route is to write a hook for buffer creation. The only hook I can find for that is buffer-list-update-hook which is also run on renaming, deletion, etc. I can imagine grabbing the output of (backtrace) to look at how the hook was called, but that no longer feels natural to me.
>
> Does anyone know of a natural approach to this?

(defadvice save-buffer (around interactive-no-visited-file-name activate)
   "When called interactively, disable for buffers not visiting a file."
   (when (or (not (called-interactively-p 'any))
	     buffer-file-name)
     ad-do-it))

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

* RE: I want an unsaveable buffer
@ 2014-08-05 13:22   ` Doug Lewan
From: Doug Lewan @ 2014-08-05 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Rodgers, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not fluent in advice, but it has on occasion been very useful. I'll study this.