all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Core dump on AIX?
@ 2013-04-23 16:04 Doug Lewan
From: Doug Lewan @ 2013-04-23 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

All,

I'm using emacs 24.1 on AIX 6.1, built here with xlc. It was configured with this line:
    ./configure --prefix=${HOME}/local --with-jpeg=no --with-png=no --with-gif=no --with-tiff=no

I get fairly frequent core dumps in emacs. They seem associated with motion but I can't say that that's absolute.

There are some observations below. Does anyone have anything to help be with this.

One failure that I /can/ reproduce reliably that suggests the above is this:
1. emacs -q file_of_interest.c &              file_of_interest.c is about 1.1MB and 34 000 lines.
2. M- 1 0 0 0 0 C-n
3. Fatal error (11)Resources lost(coredump)

BTW I can't build 24.3 as my environment stands. Making eventually produces this error:

    Emacs garbage collector has been changed to use conservative stack
    marking.  Emacs has determined that the default method it uses to do the
    marking will not work on your system.  We will need a system-dependent
    solution for your system.

(Admittedly, I'm being a bit lazy turning to the mailing list, since it does give a little hint about what to do:

    Please take a look at the function mark_stack in alloc.c, and
    try to find a way to make it work on your system.

  (And then it reveals that it's seeking help too:

      Please mail the result to <emacs-devel@gnu.org>.
   )
 )

,Douglas
Douglas Lewan
Shubert Ticketing
(201) 489-8600 ext 224

If the majority of cooking accidents happen in the kitchen, then why don't we just cook in other rooms?

* Re: Core dump on AIX?
@ 2013-04-23 22:07 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2013-04-23 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Doug Lewan; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Doug Lewan wrote:

> BTW I can't build 24.3 as my environment stands. Making eventually
> produces this error:
>
>     Emacs garbage collector has been changed to use conservative stack
>     marking.  Emacs has determined that the default method it uses to do the
>     marking will not work on your system.  We will need a system-dependent
>     solution for your system.

What compiler are you using? IIUC, using gcc should make that issue go away.

People have compiled Emacs 24.3 on AIX, eg http://debbugs.gnu.org/13650 .

* Re: Core dump on AIX?
@ 2013-04-23 22:18   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2013-04-23 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Glenn Morris wrote:

> What compiler are you using?

Sorry, me not read good ("built here with xlc"). Still:

> IIUC, using gcc should make that issue go away.

* RE: Core dump on AIX?
@ 2013-04-23 22:46     ` Doug Lewan
From: Doug Lewan @ 2013-04-23 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Glenn,

Thanks for the information.

gcc compiles here, but we don't have the GNU linker and it doesn't work with IBM's linker. (Maybe I'll be able to find time to battle building the GNU binary utilities again someday.)

@ 2013-04-24  7:09       ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2013-04-24  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Doug Lewan; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Some people have apparently built Emacs with xlc on AIX; eg

I don't think the GC stuff has changed since then, so it's not clear why
setjmp apparently does not work for you.

* Re: Core dump on AIX?
@ 2013-04-24  7:17         ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2013-04-24  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Actually, if you can compile 24.1 with that compiler, but not 24.3,
please could you send a mail to bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org with the 24.3
config.log and build log as (compressed) attachments? Thanks.

* RE: Core dump on AIX?
@ 2013-06-07 18:54 ` Doug Lewan
From: Doug Lewan @ 2013-06-07 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Doug Lewan, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

I thought I should let you know that, with the help of Glenn Morris and Erik Charlebois, I got a fix to build GNU emacs 24.3 on AIX 6.1 and it now runs very reliably.

I understand the fix is now a part of the emacs distribution.