all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to combine these two regular expressions
@ 2012-08-12 14:57 Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2012-08-12 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I was asked by someone for a regular expression that could combine
several search patterns, so that a file only needs to be scanned ones
and not several times. I was partly successful, but I still need two
passes.

I now have the following code:
    (defun dcbl-search-heading ()
      (interactive)
      (re-search-forward "\\(.
    \\)\\(

    \\)\\(.+
    \\)\\(
    ?.+
    \\)" nil t)
      (replace-match "\\1
    #heading#
    \\4"))

    (defun dcbl-search-heading2 ()
      (interactive)
      (re-search-forward "\\(.
    \\)\\(
    \\)\\(.+
    \\)\\(\\\(.+
    \\\)+\\)" nil t)
      (replace-match "\\1
    #heading#
    \\4"))

Is there a way to combine those regular expressions to one?

By the way, if the used expressions could be optimised, let me know. I
do not make them often, thus maybe I do things sub-optimal here.

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer

* Re: How to combine these two regular expressions
@ 2012-08-12 18:44 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2012-08-12 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cecil Westerhof; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

You should provide a human-readable description of what the regexes are
trying to do.  Have you tried:

C-h f regexp-opt RET

@ 2012-08-13 14:08 ` Doug Lewan
From: Doug Lewan @ 2012-08-13 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cecil Westerhof, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

The most common way to "combine" two regular expressions is the form "\\(RE1\\|RE2\\)".

I usually do this with variables (concat "\\(" re-1 "\\|" re-2 "\\)").

There's also the form "\\(?:...\\)" if you don't care about match data or "\\(?N:...\\)" if you care very much about it. (N is an integer and forces this match to become match number N.)

I hope this helps.

,Doug