all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* diff before recovering file
@ 2012-08-02 14:34 Ivan Kanis
From: Ivan Kanis @ 2012-08-02 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs help

Hi,

Has anyone written a function to see the difference between the file
viewed in the buffer and what would be recovered?
--
Ivan Kanis
http://ivan.kanis.fr

Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like
being taught.
    -- Winston Churchill

* RE: diff before recovering file
@ 2012-08-02 15:45 ` Doug Lewan
From: Doug Lewan @ 2012-08-02 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivan Kanis, emacs help

You can always refuse the recovery initially offered and use diff (M-x diff) or ediff (M-x ediff). After that you can run M-x recover-this-file anytime.

I hope this helps.

,Doug

@ 2012-08-03  9:28 ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2012-08-03  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am 02.08.2012 16:34, schrieb Ivan Kanis:
> Hi,
>
> Has anyone written a function to see the difference between the file
> viewed in the buffer and what would be recovered?

(defun diff-autosaved (&optional switches)
   "Diff this file with its auto-saved version or vice versa.
With prefix arg, prompt for diff switches."
   (interactive (list diff-switches))
   (let ((dir default-directory)
         (file (file-name-nondirectory (replace-regexp-in-string "#" "" (buffer-file-name))))
         bak ori)
     (if (string-match "^#" file)
	(setq bak file
	      ori (replace-regexp-in-string "#" "" file))
       (setq bak (concat "#" file "#")
             ori file))
     (setq bak (concat dir bak))
     (setq ori (concat dir ori))
     (diff bak ori switches)))

Cheers,

Andreas

--
http://launchpad.net/python-mode
http://launchpad.net/s-x-emacs-werkstatt/

* Re: diff before recovering file
@ 2012-08-03 17:56   ` Ivan Kanis
From: Ivan Kanis @ 2012-08-03 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Doug Lewan; +Cc: emacs help

Doug Lewan <dougl@shubertticketing.com> wrote:

> You can always refuse the recovery initially offered and use diff (M-x
> diff) or ediff (M-x ediff). After that you can run M-x
> recover-this-file anytime.

My emacs doesn't prompt for recovery. It could be a setting on my end. I
don't think M-x diff checks automatically with the backed up file. I'll
try next time I see the message.

Take care,
--
Ivan Kanis