all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* ECB eat CPU
@ 2012-06-20  1:13 毛礼杰
From: 毛礼杰 @ 2012-06-20  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

   I run GNU emacs23.4.1 + ECB2.40(from cvs) + cedet1.1 on CentOS5
and sometimes, emacs eat all CPU (90+%), after a few seconds, it recover
but this situation is very often,
   It may be ECB's problem, when deactivate ECB
it run more smooth, Is there anyone know how to do with it?  or disable
some
function of ECB to let it better ? I only use ECB's methods buffer.

--
毛礼杰 <Mao Lijie>

* RE: ECB eat CPU
@ 2012-06-20 13:05 ` Doug Lewan
From: Doug Lewan @ 2012-06-20 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 毛礼杰, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Mao,

While I don't know ECB specifically, my experience is that when emacs eats the CPU there's a complex regular expression at the heart of it.
(Personally, I'm happy to sacrifice the CPU for a few seconds to let a regular expression do a lot of work for me.
But I'm generally upset when it goes on for minutes or hours.)

I've also found that a really bad regular expression can typically be improved by making it less ambiguous.
Perhaps you could narrow it down to the offending function and then the offending regular expression.
The worst you could do is prove me wrong.

,Doug