On Mon, Aug 20, 2018, at 10:38 AM, Andy Moreton wrote: > On Sun 19 Aug 2018, Richard Stallman wrote: > >> [[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please >> consider ]]]>> [[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies, >> ]]]>> [[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's >> example. ]]]>> >> > So, distributing CC-mode as a GNU ELPA package (like we already >> > do for>> > python.el, org-mode, and a few other bundled packages) would >> > solve this>> > problem, right? >> >> The Emacs release needs to include CC-mode. > > Releasing an ELPA package in addition to the built-in version allows > users an easy way to upgrade their emacs installation to use a newer > version of CC mode without having to wait for the next emacs release.> > AndyM > > As I've mentioned in another reply on this subject, decoupling cc-mode releases from Emacs-releases will make it harder for third-party major- modes deriving from cc-mode to maintain compatibility when cc-mode introduces breaking changes. Currently we can inspect "cc-mode version" by checking emacs-version, and dispatching compatible code based on that. With such a decoupling, this will no longer be possible, and we should find a new way to give third-party major-modes dependant on cc-mode to ensure compatibility. Maybe cc-mode should ship with its own programmatically accessible version- number to check against? -- Regards Jostein Kjønigsen jostein@kjonigsen.net 🍵 jostein@gmail.com https://jostein.kjonigsen.net