On Sat, 2017-12-16 at 11:35 +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > I cannot reproduce the crash, but this could be because the above > recipe or the files you sent are incomplete.  First, I've found that > one needs to set HOME to the directory created by unpacking the > archive you sent, because your .emacs file is there.  One also needs > to modify the load-path settings in your .emacs to be consistent with > where the files were unpacked.  Then one needs to install tabbar- > mode, Hmmm. You are right. There is some magic at play in my environment that I wasn't aware of. I have now simplified the setup and can still reproduce the crash. > [. . .] > doesn't pop up a completions frame, but instead shows this in the > mininbufer: > >   DISPLAY BUFFER ACTOR *Backtrace* nil Yep. That's a debug message from my code. > Maybe some other file/package is missing?  And what version of > tabbar-mode do you have, downloaded from where? It is this: ----------------- ;; Author: David Ponce ;; Maintainer: David Ponce ;; Created: 25 February 2003 ;; Keywords: convenience ;; Revision: $Id: tabbar.el,v 1.2 2007-08-08 22:24:29 psg Exp $ --------------- I'm not sure where I got it from. Apparently not a debian package. Sorry, I'd forgotten downloading it. > Would it be possible for you to prepare a clean archive with only the > files that are required, or, better, an explicit recipe starting from > "emacs -Q"?  Doing that will ensure this bug is identified and fixed > much faster.  If that's not something you can afford, please at least > provide an archive with all the required files and settings. Done. I've copied all of the necessary files, including tabbar.el into a new directory "~marc/emacs-crash", simplified my .emacs and moved it into that directory. Here is the, slightly amended, recipe: $ cd ~/emacs-crash $ emacs -Q -l .emacs C-x C-f k/k- (completion frame appears) [navigate back to minibuffer] se (kaboom!) (there will still be messages in the echo area) Thanks for getting back to me. __ Marc