all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Leo Alekseyev <dnquark@gmail.com>
To: martin rudalics <rudalics@gmx.at>
Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: How to make display-buffer automatically focus (e.g. for help  buffers)
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 12:02:30 -0400	[thread overview]

> For help buffers you should be able to do that by customizing
> `help-window-select' to t.

This is terrific, I searched hard for this functionality and couldn't find it!

> The canonical function for this purpose is `pop-to-buffer'.  Wherever
> `display-buffer' is called, the explicit intention is to _not_ select
> the window that command uses.

That is true -- but it would be nice if there were a way to override
this; the help-window-select t customization effectively replaces
display-buffer behavior with pop-top-buffer for help buffers; it is
conceivable that one might want to do this for other types of buffers
as well.

> Most of these buffers should be in View mode and typing `q' should quit
> them.  Which ones don't?

For instance, using AucTeX the TeX errors are displayed in a buffer
that uses display-buffer and is writeable; I've seen other similar
instances before...  It would be nice to be able to have them be
automatically focused in view mode and dismissed via 'q'.

One workaround is to bury those buffers via a winner-undo, or perhaps
write a function that switches windows, kills buffer and performs
winner-undo or equivalent, but it's not wholly satisfactory...