all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: "Jostein Kjønigsen" <jostein@secure.kjonigsen.net>
To: Fabrice Popineau <fabrice.popineau@centralesupelec.fr>,
	Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@russet.org.uk>
Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>,
	Noam Postavsky <npostavs@users.sourceforge.net>,
	jostein@kjonigsen.net, Emacs developers <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Regarding performance issues with the Emacs 25.1 Windows-build
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2016 09:36:28 +0100	[thread overview]

While I think comparing performance between Linux to Windows is a
reasonable to a certain extent, I don't think it should be done blindly.

What I think is more interesting is the platform-specific performance
with regard to prior versions.

 * When I upgraded from Emacs 24.5 to Emacs 25.1 on Linux, I didn't
   notice a difference in performance characteristics.
 * When I upgraded from Emacs 24.5 to Emacs 25.1 on Windows, I
   immediately noticed massive slowdowns.

That was my frame of reference when initially starting this thread. Due
to Emacs (or at least certain Emacs-packages) being heavily reliant on
sub-processes to do the heavy lifting, and the platforms' very different
performance-characteristics w.r.t. threads vs processes, I wouldn't
expect Emacs on Windows to perform exactly the same as on Linux.

I just don't think directly comparing performance between two platforms
as such is realistic, or that immediately useful.

Just look at Git for Windows. It's *much *slower than on Linux, due to
heavy sub-process use. But the performance in between versions stays
pretty much the same. As a user, as long as Emacs for Windows does the
same, I don't see a problem.

If however the Emacs-developers considers this a problem, feel free to
investigate it further at your own discretion :)

--

Jostein Kjønigsen

🥓

jostein@kjonigsen.net / jostein@gmail.com