On 05/03/2016 01:03 PM, Alan Mackenzie wrote: > On Tue, May 03, 2016 at 07:55:45PM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote: >> No, I have nothing against that. > OK, I'll do that later. I gave this a shot by installing the attached; please feel free to improve it. > I'm still a > little confused over whether a left ASCII quote (`) might get converted > into a right ASCII or curly quote. Grave accent (`) might be left alone or converted to apostrophe (') or converted to left single quotation mark (‘), depending on whether text-quoting-style is ‘grave’, ‘straight’, or ‘curve’, respectively. Grave accent is never converted to right single quotation mark (’). > I mean make this conversion optional and configurable, as in the > patch in my last post. This conversion already configurable, in the sense that one can use either (setq text-quoting-style 'grave) or (setq text-quoting-style 'straight) to get behavior that would have worked for the use case that prompted this bug report. I haven't seen a realistic use case to motivate the proposed extra complexity of another configuration option here. > I don't think that is clearly documented anywhere. The current version of the documentation says the following. If this is not clear enough, we should improve it so that it is clear. @item ‘ @itemx ` (left single quotation mark and grave accent) both stand for a left quote. This generates a left single quotation mark, an apostrophe, or a grave accent depending on the value of @code{text-quoting-style}. @item ’ @itemx ' (right single quotation mark and apostrophe) both stand for a right quote. This generates a right single quotation mark or an apostrophe depending on the value of @code{text-quoting-style}. ... @defvar text-quoting-style @cindex curved quotes @cindex curly quotes The value of this variable is a symbol that specifies the style Emacs should use for single quotes in the wording of help and messages. If the variable's value is @code{curve}, the style is @t{‘like this’} with curved single quotes. If the value is @code{straight}, the style is @t{'like this'} with straight apostrophes. If the value is @code{grave}, the style is @t{`like this'} with grave accent and apostrophe, the standard style before Emacs version 25. The default value @code{nil} acts like @code{curve} if curved single quotes are displayable, and like @code{grave} otherwise.