all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs diff not available
@ 2014-10-29  9:30 hugobajas
From: hugobajas @ 2014-10-29  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I am new in the field of editing with emacs and need help.

I have dowloaded cygwin and would like to use emacs as text editor.

The first thing I wanted to do is to compare 2 files.

To do so, I lauch emacs from the "C:\cygwin\bin" where I find
"emacs-w32.exe".

I then open my two files.
Then, I do "tool -> compare -> two buffers" but a message appears saying "No
such file or directory, diff".

But in "C:\cygwin\bin" there is "diff.exe".

I do not understand what is missing?

Could you help me please with that?

Best regards,

Hugo

* Re: emacs diff not available
@ 2014-10-29 10:02 ` saint
From: saint @ 2014-10-29 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: hugobajas; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

hugobajas writes:
 > I then open my two files.
 > Then, I do "tool -> compare -> two buffers" but a message appears saying "No
 > such file or directory, diff".
 >
 > But in "C:\cygwin\bin" there is "diff.exe".
 >
 > I do not understand what is missing?
 >
 > Could you help me please with that?

I think that you need to put that directory in your path.

--
 /\           ___                                    Ubuntu: ancient
/___/\_|_|\_|__|___Gian Uberto Lauri_____               African word

Warning: gnome-config-daemon considered more dangerous than GOTO

* Re: emacs diff not available
@ 2014-10-29 10:08   ` hugobajas
From: hugobajas @ 2014-10-29 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

but where is my path?
What is it?

Sorry I am really not familiar...

Thank you,

Hugo

* Re: emacs diff not available
@ 2014-10-29 13:33     ` hugobajas
From: hugobajas @ 2014-10-29 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

I found it myself. I add the variable path in my Advanced System setting.

It works.

Thank you,

Regards,

Hugo