all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Latex symbols in GNU Emacs
@ 2009-02-24 12:33 Ritchie
From: Ritchie @ 2009-02-24 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

For those of you who are using GNU Emacs as the text editor for
editing latex documents, I'm wondering is there a way to display all
the latex symbols?

I'm using Carbon Emacs on mac. When editing latex files, there is a
latex-math-mode available. With that mode enabled, there is an extra
drop down menu for all the latex symbols, but all the symbols are
listed as actual command name. I'm wondering if there is a way to
display some kind of picture of how each symbols may look like, and
you can choose them by clicking them.

There is a similar feature in xemacs provided by latex-symbols
package, but that package is for xemacs only. I tried x-symbols
package for emacs, but it doesn't seems to be able to do that either.

regards

Ritchie

* Re: Latex symbols in GNU Emacs
@ 2009-02-24 14:33 ` David Hansen
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: David Hansen @ 2009-02-24 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 04:33:15 -0800 (PST) Ritchie wrote:

> For those of you who are using GNU Emacs as the text editor for
> editing latex documents, I'm wondering is there a way to display all
> the latex symbols?

preview-latex ships with auctex and offers some WYSIWYG features for
editing (la)tex files, e.g. renders equation or other environments w/
(la)tex and displays the picture in the buffer.

David

* Re: Latex symbols in GNU Emacs
@ 2009-02-24 16:51 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.1677.1235508765.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-02-24 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Ritchie; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 24.02.2009 um 13:33 schrieb Ritchie:

> For those of you who are using GNU Emacs as the text editor for
> editing latex documents, I'm wondering is there a way to display all
> the latex symbols?

Not really. Every author can invent his or her own LaTeX symbols.
Maybe it helps to lear Etags.

--
Greetings

   Pete

				– Oscar Wilde

* Re: Latex symbols in GNU Emacs
@ 2009-02-24 20:52 ` Johan Bockgård
       [not found] ` <mailman.1677.1235508765.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2009-02-24 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ritchie <ritchiecai@gmail.com> writes:

> For those of you who are using GNU Emacs as the text editor for
> editing latex documents, I'm wondering is there a way to display all
> the latex symbols?
>
> I'm using Carbon Emacs on mac. When editing latex files, there is a
> latex-math-mode available. With that mode enabled, there is an extra
> drop down menu for all the latex symbols, but all the symbols are
> listed as actual command name. I'm wondering if there is a way to
> display some kind of picture of how each symbols may look like, and
> you can choose them by clicking them.

The menu does so by default if Emacs is built with the GTK toolkit (and
AUCTeX version is >= 11.53). I have never used the Carbon port. Does it
work if you set LaTeX-math-menu-unicode to t (before AUCTeX is loaded)?

@ 2009-02-25  4:21   ` Ritchie
From: Ritchie @ 2009-02-25  4:21 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> The menu does so by default if Emacs is built with the GTK toolkit (and
> AUCTeX version is >= 11.53). I have never used the Carbon port. Does it
> work if you set LaTeX-math-menu-unicode to t (before AUCTeX is loaded)?

It works perfectly !! That's exactly what I wanted !!

THANK YOU VERY MUCH

Ritchie