all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* M-x shell not working
@ 2005-10-18  6:34 Sunil Yeddu
From: Sunil Yeddu @ 2005-10-18  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,
We have recently migrated to emacs 21.4 from emacs 20.7 in our environment.
In emacs-21.4, I get this error when I do M-x shell.
Warning: no access to tty (Bad file descriptor).
Thus no job control in this shell.
stty: standard input: Invalid argument
exit

Process shell finished

We use clearcase for source control and this is happening inside a clearcase
view. Outside a view, there is no problem. We had no problem at all in
emacs-20.7, even inside a clearcase view. In emacs-21.4, it is working some
times but most of the times it is not. Looks like pty is not being
allocated.
I did some debugging and found the following information. In emacs-21.4, in
the rare case when M-x shell works, tty allocated is like '/view/dev/ttyp7'
. '/view' is due to clearcase, may be some virtual path. The actual path
starts from '/dev/...' ie. Removing '/view' would give the path of the tty
in our system. In emacs-20.7, the tty allocated is like '/view/43'. It is
always of the form '/view/' followed by a number. This indicates that the
tty allocation system is changed in emacs-21.4. In emacs-20.7, looks like it
is doing some virtual allocation as it is just a number. But in emacs-21.4,
it is allocating from /dev. We have sufficient number of ttys too.
% ls /dev/tty* | wc -l
905
Emacs is not able to pick up a free one? Also I noticed that, in emacs-21.4,
when M-x shell works, it works for some time before it stops working and
goes back to its usual state. During this time, it is able to allocate ptys
in serial order without any problem, when we invoke shell from different
emacs sessions. I suspect that when it is able to capture some tty in a
specific range, it is able to obtain the remaining without any problem. I
ruled out the possibility that ttys are really exhausted because, while I
could open shell from emacs-21.4, other users could'nt do it on the same
machine during the same time.
OS is linux. I have verified that process-connection-type is set to t. So
this is not the same problem as Mac users have reported. Also, I started
emacs with -q option. So there is nothing in my .emacs file which could have
caused this problem.
I hope this infomation which I collected from my debugging would be of help.
I could not proceed further. Can someone help?

Sunil