all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* keyboard-translate not working with emacs daemon
@ 2009-10-12  2:18 Ryo
       [not found] ` <mailman.8578.1255328703.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Ryo @ 2009-10-12  2:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have

(keyboard-translate ?\C-h ?\C-?)

in my .emacs but this doesn't work with emacs daemon.  Does somebody
know whether this is a bug on emacs23 and if so, whether it has been
reported?

Everything else in .emacs works.  If you evaluate the function above
on emacsclient, it starts to work.  When you invoke emacs without
making it a daemon, the keyboard translation works.

Regards,
Ryo
--------------
If you wonder why I don't use
  (global-set-key "\C-h" 'delete-backward-char),
it no longer work everywhere as of emacs23.  (Before emacs23, it
worked everywhere as far as I know.)  For example, C-h seems to be
assigned to a separate function (that is not delete-backward-char) in
the incremental search.  So, C-h still invokes a help-like function
there, which is annoying.

* Re: keyboard-translate not working with emacs daemon
@ 2009-10-12  6:24 ` Andreas Politz
       [not found] ` <mailman.8578.1255328703.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Andreas Politz @ 2009-10-12  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ryo <furue@hawaii.edu> writes:

> I have
>
> (keyboard-translate ?\C-h ?\C-?)
>
> in my .emacs but this doesn't work with emacs daemon.  Does somebody
> know whether this is a bug on emacs23 and if so, whether it has been
> reported?

The keyboard-translate-table is a terminal-local variable.  I'm looking
for a fix as well.

-ap

@ 2009-10-12 19:48   ` Ryo
From: Ryo @ 2009-10-12 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Oct 11, 8:24 pm, Andreas Politz <poli...@fh-trier.de> wrote:
[. . .]
> The keyboard-translate-table is a terminal-local variable.  I'm looking
> for a fix as well.

Thanks for your response.   What is a "terminal" in our context?  At
first, I thought you are saying that the table is local to each emacs
frame.  But, it doesn't seem to be the case.  I did the following
experiment:

   $ emacs23 --daemon
   $ emacsclient -c  # <-- keyboard-translate is not effective.
            # On this client, I evaluate (keyboard-translate ?\C-h ?
\C-?)
   $ emacsclient -c # another client: keyboard-translate is effective.

So, once you evaluate keyboard-translate on an emacs client, it seems
to stick.  I wonder how that happens.

Maybe I should report this issue to the bug tracking system (if I find
one somewhere).

Regards,
Ryo

* Re: keyboard-translate not working with emacs daemon
@ 2009-10-13  2:40     ` Vassil Nikolov
From: Vassil Nikolov @ 2009-10-13  2:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 12:48:03 -0700 (PDT), Ryo <ryofurue@gmail.com> said:
> What is a "terminal" in our context?  At first, I thought you are
> saying that the table is local to each emacs frame.  But, it doesn't
> seem to be the case.  I did the following experiment:

>    $ emacs23 --daemon
>    $ emacsclient -c  # <-- keyboard-translate is not effective.
>             # On this client, I evaluate (keyboard-translate ?\C-h ?\C-?)
>    $ emacsclient -c # another client: keyboard-translate is effective.

  Are you running the two emacsclient processes on the same X display?
  What happens if you run them without X (and therefore on two
  different terminals)?

  ---Vassil.

* Re: keyboard-translate not working with emacs daemon
@ 2009-10-13 17:33       ` Ryo
From: Ryo @ 2009-10-13 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Oct 12, 4:40 pm, Vassil Nikolov <vniko...@pobox.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 12:48:03 -0700 (PDT), Ryo <ryofu...@gmail.com> said:
[. . .]
> > What is a "terminal" in our context?  At first, I thought you are
> > saying that the table is local to each emacs frame.  But, it doesn't
> > seem to be the case.  I did the following experiment:
> >    $ emacs23 --daemon
> >    $ emacsclient -c  # <-- keyboard-translate is not effective.
> >             # On this client, I evaluate (keyboard-translate ?\C-h ?\C-?)
> >    $ emacsclient -c # another client: keyboard-translate is effective.
>
>   Are you running the two emacsclient processes on the same X display?
>   What happens if you run them without X (and therefore on two
>   different terminals)?

Good point!  If emacsclients are run from different terminals without
using X, then they are independent in terms of keyboard translation:

term-A$ emacs23 --daemon
term-B$ emacsclient -c -nw # <-- keyboard-translate is not effective.
    # On this client, evaluate (keyboard-translate ?\C-h ?\C-?).
term-C$ emacsclient -c -nw # another client:
    # keyboard-translate is NOT effective.

Furthermore, I realized even on X, keyboard translation seems to
vanish after the first client is exited:

  $ emacs23 --daemon
  $ emacsclient -c # <-- keyboard-translate is not effective.
    # On this client, evaluate (keyboard-translate ?\C-h ?\C-?).
    # EXIT.
  $ emacsclient -c -nw # another client:
    # keyboard-translate is NOT effective.

Yesterday, I submitted a report to emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com.  The
issue number is "bug#4709".

Regards,
Ryo

* Re: keyboard-translate not working with emacs daemon
@ 2009-10-19 10:11         ` Ryo
From: Ryo @ 2009-10-19 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Oct 13, 7:33 am, Ryo <ryofu...@gmail.com> wrote:
[. . .]
> Yesterday, I submitted a report to emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com.  The
> issue number is "bug#4709".

An emacs developer kindly found a solution for us:

  (define-key key-translation-map [?\C-h] [?\C-?])

Unlike keyboard-translate, the key translation map is global: once you
have set it, it sticks.

Regards,
Ryo

* Re: keyboard-translate not working with emacs daemon
@ 2009-10-19 16:34           ` Andreas Politz
From: Andreas Politz @ 2009-10-19 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ryo <furue@hawaii.edu> writes:

> On Oct 13, 7:33 am, Ryo <ryofu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [. . .]
>> Yesterday, I submitted a report to emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com.  The
>> issue number is "bug#4709".
>
> An emacs developer kindly found a solution for us:
>
>   (define-key key-translation-map [?\C-h] [?\C-?])
>
> Unlike keyboard-translate, the key translation map is global: once you
> have set it, it sticks.
>
> Regards,
> Ryo

Thanks for having the energy and figuring that out.

-ap