all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bizzare text scrolling
@ 2007-08-04 21:31 Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2007-08-04 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I've been using GNU Emacs 21.4.1 on kunbuntu 7.04 amd64 for a couple of
months now. I originally installed emacs from the debian repository via
apt-get, and it has worked just fine.

I just re-installed emacs from aptitude, which is the gui-based
version of apt-get. I am now seeing some very strange behavior.
Specifically, text in a buffer will start *scrolling* - I've seen this
happen in *scratch* where as best as I can tell, words like "zoning" appear.

This also occurs in source code files - which is really alarming.
Although when I apply some action to the buffer, like a mouse click
or keystroke, the scrolling stops and the buffer (appears) to revert
to the original content.

Any ideas on how to make this stop?
thanks
tim

* Re: bizzare text scrolling
@ 2007-08-04 23:36 ` Hadron
From: Hadron @ 2007-08-04 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com> writes:

> I've been using GNU Emacs 21.4.1 on kunbuntu 7.04 amd64 for a couple of
> months now. I originally installed emacs from the debian repository via
> apt-get, and it has worked just fine.
>
> I just re-installed emacs from aptitude, which is the gui-based
> version of apt-get. I am now seeing some very strange behavior.
> Specifically, text in a buffer will start *scrolling* - I've seen this
> happen in *scratch* where as best as I can tell, words like "zoning" appear.
>
> This also occurs in source code files - which is really alarming.
> Although when I apply some action to the buffer, like a mouse click
> or keystroke, the scrolling stops and the buffer (appears) to revert
> to the original content.
>
> Any ideas on how to make this stop?
> thanks
> tim

Weird. I saw this for the first time today myself after Ubuntu crashed
and I had to reinstall.

* Re: bizzare text scrolling
@ 2007-08-05  0:38   ` Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2007-08-05  0:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hadron wrote:
<....>

> Weird. I saw this for the first time today myself after Ubuntu crashed
> and I had to reinstall.\

I had installed the emacs-extra and emacs-goodies-el packages. I removed
them and the symptoms went away.

BTW: I would add more to descriptions of the symptoms:
Letters were "dropping" from lines to lines beneath them. This behavior
was much like one of the very earliest viruses, if memory serves me.

Go figure!
Tim

* Re: bizzare text scrolling
@ 2007-08-05  3:23     ` weber
From: weber @ 2007-08-05  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Aug 4, 9:38 pm, Tim Johnson <t...@johnsons-web.com> wrote:
> Hadron wrote:
>
> <....>
>

> > Weird. I saw this for the first time today myself after Ubuntu crashed
> > and I had to reinstall.\
>
> I had installed the emacs-extra and emacs-goodies-el packages. I removed
> them and the symptoms went away.
>
> BTW: I would add more to descriptions of the symptoms:
> Letters were "dropping" from lines to lines beneath them. This behavior
> was much like one of the very earliest viruses, if memory serves me.
>
> Go figure!
> Tim

It's a kind of screensaver for emacs, nothing to be afraid of ;)
I can find it under Tools -> Games -> Zone out on my Emacs 22.
There are a few different ways to "zone out", some times the letters
scroll, some times the screen shakes, etc.
You can read more searching for the source zone.el.

Cheers,
weber

* Re: bizzare text scrolling
@ 2007-08-05 15:10       ` Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2007-08-05 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

weber wrote:

> On Aug 4, 9:38 pm, Tim Johnson <t...@johnsons-web.com> wrote:
<..>

>> I had installed the emacs-extra and emacs-goodies-el packages. I removed
>> them and the symptoms went away.
>>
> It's a kind of screensaver for emacs, nothing to be afraid of ;)
> I can find it under Tools -> Games -> Zone out on my Emacs 22.
> There are a few different ways to "zone out", some times the letters
> scroll, some times the screen shakes, etc.
> You can read more searching for the source zone.el.

  Hey, that is good to hear. No emacsen gremlins butchering my
  precious code!
  I was interested in those packages, so I will re-install them.

Thanks a lot.
Tim