all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: longlines-mode: font-lock fails (in outline-mode)
       [not found]   ` <F95FE268-D989-45BC-AFDB-3BA9FBB912ED@gmail.com>
@ 2005-06-28 18:46     ` Richard M. Stallman
From: Richard M. Stallman @ 2005-06-28 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: emacs-devel

    Oh, substitute "longlines-mode" for "log".
    If the above description is not enough to reproduce, do this:

    M-x outline-mode
    M-x longlines-mode

    enter this:

    *** bla bla bla blu blu blu er er er yeah yeah yeah wow wow wow yup
    yup yup see here it went black not so good

    Enter enough text for it to be wrapped around. The first line shown
    is in purple color, the next line is black, as are the following
    lines. Because it's still part of the headline, it should be purple
    as well. outline-mode should look for the hard end of the line, not
    the 'soft' or wrapped end.

Outline-mode specifies a regular expression which ends in `.+'.
There is no way in a regexp to specify only hard newlines.
But it is possible to call a function instead of using a regexp.
I think that makes it possible to do what you want.

Is there someone who understands font-lock better than I do
who could try to do this?

Another idea is to modify regexp matching so that `.' can match
a soft newline, when use of hard and soft newlines is enabled.
Since that would be done in parts of the code I understand,
I could implement it.  But what do people think of the idea?

* Re: longlines-mode: font-lock fails (in outline-mode)
@ 2005-06-29  2:36       ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2005-06-29  2:36 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: David Reitter, emacs-devel

>     *** bla bla bla blu blu blu er er er yeah yeah yeah wow wow wow yup
>     yup yup see here it went black not so good
>
>     Enter enough text for it to be wrapped around. The first line shown
>     is in purple color, the next line is black, as are the following
>     lines. Because it's still part of the headline, it should be purple
>     as well. outline-mode should look for the hard end of the line, not
>     the 'soft' or wrapped end.

That's no different from what you get without longlines mode.  For
instance, look at the NEWS file; a typical entry is

  ** New translations of the Emacs Tutorial are available in the
  following languages: Brasilian Portuguese, Bulgarian, Chinese (both
  with simplified and traditional characters), French, and Italian.
  Type `C-u C-h t' to choose one of them in case your language setup
  doesn't automatically select the right one.

Only the "New translations... in the" part is highlighted.  If this is not
a problem, neither should it be a problem when longlines-mode is turned
on.

* Re: longlines-mode: font-lock fails (in outline-mode)
@ 2005-06-29 23:38 David Reitter
From: David Reitter @ 2005-06-29 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: cyd

Chong Yidong wrote:

> Only the "New translations... in the" part is highlighted.  If this
> is not
> a problem, neither should it be a problem when longlines-mode is
> turned
> on.\

I can't quite agree: if you have a soft-newline, that means that the
headline (to be marked) continues in the next line. The user has not
pressed return! It's like a normal line-wrap.
The syntax highlighting should take into account what the compiler
(eventually) gets to see (in the case of source code) or what gets
written to file.

Given that longlines-mode shows that kind of behavior in other major
modes as well (e.g. python mode - i reported a bug recently), I think
that Richard's suggestion about making '.' match  soft-newlines might
be a good idea and a general solution to this class of problems. One
would obviously want to make sure that the newlines-indicator (I
don't know how this is implemented) is unique so that the change of
regexp matching doesn't have knock-on effects in other contexts.

-D