all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* gdb help
@ 2014-01-15 13:20 Rob_K
From: Rob_K @ 2014-01-15 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Hi guys,

I am fairly new to programming and emacs, but I like it as an editor.
However, I have come to the point where I need to start using a debugger,
but gdb does not seem to be working. I keep getting the message "no such
file or directory" when I start to use it.

Does emacs come with gdb natively, or do I have to install it separately? I
have tried searching for this, but to no avail.

I am using:
Emacs Version 24.3 (9.0)
Mac OSX Mavericks.

any help on this would be much appreciated.
Kind regards

Rob

* Re: gdb help
@ 2014-01-15 15:56 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-01-15 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 05:20:56 -0800 (PST)
> From: Rob_K <psycho.dynamics@gmail.com>
>
> I am fairly new to programming and emacs, but I like it as an editor.
> However, I have come to the point where I need to start using a debugger,
> but gdb does not seem to be working. I keep getting the message "no such
> file or directory" when I start to use it.
>
> Does emacs come with gdb natively, or do I have to install it separately? I
> have tried searching for this, but to no avail.

GDB is a separate package, you need to install it.  Emacs provides a
front-end for GDB, but it will not work until you install GDB the
program.

* Re: gdb help
       [not found] <mailman.12002.1389795443.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2014-01-15 17:36 ` Dan Espen
From: Dan Espen @ 2014-01-15 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Rob_K <psycho.dynamics@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi guys,
>
> I am fairly new to programming and emacs, but I like it as an editor.
> However, I have come to the point where I need to start using a debugger,
> but gdb does not seem to be working. I keep getting the message "no such
> file or directory" when I start to use it.
>
> Does emacs come with gdb natively, or do I have to install it separately? I
> have tried searching for this, but to no avail.
>
> I am using:
> Emacs Version 24.3 (9.0)
> Mac OSX Mavericks.

gdb is a separate package.