all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* c-mode seems broken
@ 2010-05-03  8:57 Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2010-05-03  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

Since a couple of months (I don't remember when exactly I first
encounter this), the indentation stop working when editing a C source
file. That is when I press <TAB> the line is indented at the start of
the line (instead of inserting an appropriate number of spaces). To
workaround this problem I do "M-x c-mode" and the indentation is
working again.

It seems that happens after adding/modifying code inside "#ifdef/
#endif", but I'm not sure.

How can I fix this ?

Thanks

* Re: c-mode seems broken
@ 2010-05-03 16:48 ` Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2010-05-03 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,

> Since a couple of months (I don't remember when exactly I first
> encounter this), the indentation stop working when editing a C source
> file. That is when I press <TAB> the line is indented at the start of
> the line (instead of inserting an appropriate number of spaces). To
> workaround this problem I do "M-x c-mode" and the indentation is
> working again.

> It seems that happens after adding/modifying code inside "#ifdef/
> #endif", but I'm not sure.

This is a known problem which has been fixed (by removing an
"improvement") in the soon-to-be-released Emacs 23.2.  The "improvement"
itself has been fixed for the medium future Emacs 24.

The bug is triggered by inserting a newline at the end of any C
preprocessor line.  This wrongly pushes a "CPP marker" (actually a text
property) onto the start of the next line.

> How can I fix this ?

Upgrade to Emacs 23.2 when it gets released.  This could be as early as
the coming Friday.

Sorry for this bug.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

* Re: c-mode seems broken
@ 2010-05-04 19:22   ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2010-05-04 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On May 3, 6:48 pm, Alan Mackenzie <a...@muc.de> wrote:
[snip]
> > How can I fix this ?
>
> Upgrade to Emacs 23.2 when it gets released.  This could be as early as
> the coming Friday.

Which probably means: get a bunch of new bugs ;)

Are there any 23.1 'stable' branches somewhere which can be used to
get only fixes ?

> Sorry for this bug.

No problem.

* Re: c-mode seems broken
@ 2010-05-04 19:48     ` Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2010-05-04 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 3, 6:48?pm, Alan Mackenzie <a...@muc.de> wrote:
> [snip]
>> > How can I fix this ?

>> Upgrade to Emacs 23.2 when it gets released. ?This could be as early
>> as the coming Friday.

> Which probably means: get a bunch of new bugs ;)

23.2 is purely a bugfix release, so there should be very few new ones.

> Are there any 23.1 'stable' branches somewhere which can be used to
> get only fixes ?

23.2 is on the same branch as 23.1 and is purely a bugfix release.

Really!

--

@ 2010-05-05  4:08       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-05-05  4:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> 23.2 is on the same branch as 23.1 and is purely a bugfix release.

Well, not quite.  It does have a few improvements as well.  And even
"bug-fix only" can introduce new bugs.  But yes, 23.2 aims to fix more
bugs than it introduces and doesn't try to provide
significant improvements.