all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacsclient/server on Windows
@ 2005-08-08  9:58 Francis Leboutte
From: Francis Leboutte @ 2005-08-08  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I have tried to use emacsclient/server on Windows. I haven't found any
emacsclient executable in the Emacs distribution. Looking on the web,
I found this in an email of the gnu lists archive: "I just want to
tell that w32 still have no working emacsclient/server.
Gnuserver/client is a workaround, but as far as I understand this can
currently not be part of Emacs because of license problems."

Does someone have more info about the possible port of emacsclient?

Is Gnuserver/client a viable alternative? Should I use Xemacs or some
other variant?

This is very important to me. The availability of emacsclient/server
on Windows is one of the main raisons for us to switch to emacs.
Shortly I have to develop an ontology editor for KM (Knowledge
Machine, from Texas edu), Emacs would be the text editor.

Thanks,
Francis Leboutte
www.algo.be

* Re: emacsclient/server on Windows
@ 2005-08-08 10:12 ` Lennart Borgman
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2005-08-08 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Emacs Devel

Francis Leboutte wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I have tried to use emacsclient/server on Windows. I haven't found any
>emacsclient executable in the Emacs distribution. Looking on the web,
>I found this in an email of the gnu lists archive: "I just want to
>tell that w32 still have no working emacsclient/server.
>Gnuserver/client is a workaround, but as far as I understand this can
>currently not be part of Emacs because of license problems."
>
>Does someone have more info about the possible port of emacsclient?
>
>Is Gnuserver/client a viable alternative? Should I use Xemacs or some
>other variant?
>
>This is very important to me. The availability of emacsclient/server
>on Windows is one of the main raisons for us to switch to emacs.
>Shortly I have to develop an ontology editor for KM (Knowledge
>Machine, from Texas edu), Emacs would be the text editor.

Go to http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/EmacsW32.html to find a temporary
solution. This solution is working and easy to install.

There is currently some work in progress to get emacsclient/server to
work in MS Windows.

* Re: emacsclient/server on Windows
@ 2005-08-08 13:09 ` kgold
       [not found] ` <mailman.2991.1123497369.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: kgold @ 2005-08-08 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

I use Gnu emacs and gnuserv on Windows.  No problems at all.

--
Ken Goldman   kgold@watson.ibm.com   914-784-7646

@ 2005-08-08 13:30   ` Francis Leboutte
From: Francis Leboutte @ 2005-08-08 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> wrote:

>Go to http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/EmacsW32.html to find a temporary
>solution. This solution is working and easy to install.

Thank you very much for this, it looks promising (I have been able to
send files to the emacs server from my application). The rest of the
Utilities looks interresting too.

Francis

@ 2005-08-08 13:31   ` Francis Leboutte
From: Francis Leboutte @ 2005-08-08 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

kgold@watson.ibm.com (kgold) wrote:

>I use Gnu emacs and gnuserv on Windows.  No problems at all.

Nice! Did you use the gnuserv version in EmacsW32 Utilities?

>Francis Leboutte <f.leboutte@algo.be> writes:
>>
>> I have tried to use emacsclient/server on Windows. I haven't found any
>> emacsclient executable in the Emacs distribution. Looking on the web,
>> I found this in an email of the gnu lists archive: "I just want to
>> tell that w32 still have no working emacsclient/server.
>> Gnuserver/client is a workaround, but as far as I understand this can
>> currently not be part of Emacs because of license problems."
>>
>> Does someone have more info about the possible port of emacsclient?
>>
>> Is Gnuserver/client a viable alternative? Should I use Xemacs or some
>> other variant?
>>
>> This is very important to me. The availability of emacsclient/server
>> on Windows is one of the main raisons for us to switch to emacs.
>> Shortly I have to develop an ontology editor for KM (Knowledge
>> Machine, from Texas edu), Emacs would be the text editor.
Francis Leboutte
www.algo.be

* Re: emacsclient/server on Windows
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found] ` <mailman.2991.1123497369.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-08-08 16:18 ` Joe Corneli
       [not found] ` <mailman.3029.1123518852.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Joe Corneli @ 2005-08-08 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

You didn't say why you you need emacsclient to write or use an
ontology editor.  Perhaps if you say how it would be used, then
someone can suggest a more specific work-around.

@ 2005-08-09 12:04   ` Francis Leboutte
From: Francis Leboutte @ 2005-08-09 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Joe Corneli <jcorneli@math.utexas.edu> wrote:

>You didn't say why you you need emacsclient to write or use an
>ontology editor.  Perhaps if you say how it would be used, then
>someone can suggest a more specific work-around.

Well at present time the Gnuserver from Lennart looks te be largely
good enough, to implement one of the needed features: a text editor to
edit Lisp like lists (frame definitions) that would be retrieved from
a database.

Thanks for your interest,

Francis

PS
I see your are from utexas.edu, would you be a KM user?

* Re: emacsclient/server on Windows
@ 2005-08-10  9:38     ` Joe Corneli
From: Joe Corneli @ 2005-08-10  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

   >You didn't say why you you need emacsclient to write or use an
   >ontology editor.  Perhaps if you say how it would be used, then
   >someone can suggest a more specific work-around.

   Well at present time the Gnuserver from Lennart looks te be largely
   good enough, to implement one of the needed features: a text editor to
   edit Lisp like lists (frame definitions) that would be retrieved from
   a database.

I don't see why exactly the server is needed, sorry for being dense.
Couldn't you just load the database into memory in some suitable
fashion and then spawn frames and windows as needed, all from within
the one running emacs?

   Thanks for your interest,

Thanks for explaining... I'm still sort of confused, but yeah, still
interested!

   I see your are from utexas.edu, would you be a KM user?

I used to be.  Now I'm working on an Emacs-native knowledge
representation platform; if you want to check it out it is at
http://www.nongnu.org/hdm/ in the "scholium-system" subdirectory.  Not
finished, but possibly of interest at this stage, and it should be
done soon-ish.