all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to append text to end of each line
@ 2013-05-13 17:47 acomber
From: acomber @ 2013-05-13 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

I thought this would work:

c-x-% $ -> replace with ABC

But it doesn't find any matches.  How can I append a set string at the end
of each line.  I specifically want to append "

* Re: How to append text to end of each line
@ 2013-05-13 17:57 ` acomber
From: acomber @ 2013-05-13 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

But m-x replace-regexp RET $ RET " does work.  Why the difference?

* Re: How to append text to end of each line
@ 2013-05-13 18:21   ` Kevin Montuori
From: Kevin Montuori @ 2013-05-13 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

    a> But m-x replace-regexp RET $ RET " does work.  Why the
    a> difference?

Odd.  Both M-C-% (query-replace-regexp) and M-x replace-regexp work fine
for me.  Any chance point was located after the lines you wanted to
operate on when you first tried?

k.

--
  Kevin Montuori
  montuori@gmail.com

* Re: How to append text to end of each line
@ 2013-05-13 18:44 ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2013-05-13 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am 13.05.2013 19:47, schrieb acomber:
> I thought this would work:
>
> c-x-% $ -> replace with ABC
>
> But it doesn't find any matches.  How can I append a set string at the end
> of each line.  I specifically want to append "
>

> --

Do you mean M-x query-replace RET...?

That would replace a literal dollar-sign, but not the regexp-symbol for end-of-line.
Therefor you must call M-x  query-replace-regexp

* Re: How to append text to end of each line
@ 2013-05-13 19:03 ` Ken Goldman
From: Ken Goldman @ 2013-05-13 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 5/13/2013 1:47 PM, acomber wrote:
> How can I append a set string at the end
> of each line.  I specifically want to append "

For infrequently used tasks like this, I just define and execute a
keyboard macro.  It's faster than looking up the command in the manual.

E.g.,

- go to the end of the line
- add the character
- go down one line