all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Tech Stuff <techstuff1971@yahoo.com>
To: "W. Greenhouse" <wgreenhouse@riseup.net>,
	"help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org" <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: File Encoding Issue on Windows
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 10:44:54 -0700 (PDT)	[thread overview]

Thanks for that.  I've taken your suggestions and added the line suggested by eli in a separate email.  My .emacs looks like this now:

// being .emacs
(message "TS1971 Hello World from .emacs")

(setq locale-coding-system 'utf-8)
(set-terminal-coding-system 'utf-8)
(set-keyboard-coding-system 'utf-8)
(set-selection-coding-system 'utf-8)
(prefer-coding-system 'utf-8)

(setq-default buffer-file-coding-system 'utf-8)
// end .emacs

I also upgraded to version - GNU Emacs 24.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2012-08-28 on MARVIN.  Someone had earlier mentioned something about version 24.3 but 24.2 was the newest I saw on the GNU download site.  In any event, I'm hoping that these .emcas settings will solve my problems going forward.

I'm still a bit stuck though with trying to use global search-replace to fix the files that are already hosed.  Here again is an example of the error I'm trying to fix:

¿Cuántos días se quedaron?

where I obviously want to repalce '¿' with '¿' and 'í' with 'í'. Doug suggested earlier that I learn about input methods and I've spent some time reading about them but I still don't know how to accomplish what I'm trying to do.  For instance describe-char tells me that the first character is codepoint 194.  Given that, how do I know which of the input methods I need to use to enter the character?  Also a probably related question.  I enter the group of extended characters neccesary for spanish by toggling on the MS International Keyboard layout.  So in order to enter 'é' for instance I type the sequence ''e' - that is a single quote followed by an 'e'.  This just works everywhere, including in the emacs edit buffer.  It doesn't work however in the emacs mini-buffer when I try to do search-replaces.  What's the solution here?  I suppose that it's input methods again, but again, I have no idea which input method I should be choosing.

Can someone point me in the right direction here?

Thanks.