all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* recover file after crash
@ 2013-01-24 20:16 drain
From: drain @ 2013-01-24 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Instead of Emacs telling me that I can recover auto-save data after a
crash, then leaving me to manually enter the command, I'd prefer Emacs to
prompt me with a yes-or-n-p to do so itself.

* RE: recover file after crash
@ 2013-01-24 21:00 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2013-01-24 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'drain', Help-gnu-emacs

> Instead of Emacs telling me that I can recover auto-save data after a
> crash, then leaving me to manually enter the command, I'd
> prefer Emacs to prompt me with a yes-or-n-p to do so itself.

Please use `M-x report-emacs-bug' if you want to submit an enhancement request.

* RE: recover file after crash
@ 2013-01-25 18:23   ` drain
From: drain @ 2013-01-25 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

I meant to ask if that were already an option.

Related: how can I get Emacs NOT to prompt me when I want to open large (>10
MB) files?

* Re: recover file after crash
@ 2013-01-25 18:30     ` Valentin Baciu
From: Valentin Baciu @ 2013-01-25 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: drain; +Cc: Emacs help

Hi drain,

Maybe this will help, even though I never tried it myself because I like
opening large and hairy files :)

Type the following: C-h v large-<TAB>

Then the description for the variable will show up like this:

large-file-warning-threshold is a variable defined in `files.el'.
Its value is 10000000

Documentation:
Maximum size of file above which a confirmation is requested.
When nil, never request confirmation.

You can customize this variable.

This variable was introduced, or its default value was changed, in
version 22.1 of Emacs.

[back]

On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 8:23 PM, drain <aeuster@gmail.com> wrote:

> I meant to ask if that were already an option.
>
> Related: how can I get Emacs NOT to prompt me when I want to open large
> (>10
> MB) files?
>

> --

* Re: recover file after crash
@ 2013-01-25 19:12       ` drain
From: drain @ 2013-01-25 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Just customized that variable to nil.

Do you guys experience lag when you open these large files? For me, the
deeper I get into a nested heading, the less lag there is, eventually
lag-free. But when I am at the overview, it starts to get pretty slow
around 10 MB.

* Re: recover file after crash
@ 2013-01-25 19:29         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-01-25 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 11:12:43 -0800 (PST)
> From: drain <aeuster@gmail.com>
>
> Do you guys experience lag when you open these large files? For me, the
> deeper I get into a nested heading, the less lag there is, eventually
> lag-free. But when I am at the overview, it starts to get pretty slow
> around 10 MB.

Because what is one line on display may be many lines of text in the
buffer, and redisplay needs to traverse them all.

* Re: recover file after crash
@ 2013-01-25 19:36         ` Valentin Baciu
From: Valentin Baciu @ 2013-01-25 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: drain; +Cc: Emacs help

Hello again,

In my experience, large files with few line ends (like minified JavaScript
files) tend to lag more. Sometimes I just use vim for these kind of files
or, depending on what I want to do, grep or sed in order to avoid opening
it in Emacs. But that should be a rare case rather than the rule.

I like to think of Emacs as a code editor (mostly) which works great for
development, but not necessarily for debugging.

Byte compiling your major modes may speed up processing, but I don't think
of it as a general performance solution. This "tip" should apply only for
custom installs because the default/built-in ones are already compiled.

In case you can share the file that you have trouble with I will gladly try
it on my system.

On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 9:12 PM, drain <aeuster@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just customized that variable to nil.
>
> Do you guys experience lag when you open these large files? For me, the
> deeper I get into a nested heading, the less lag there is, eventually
> lag-free. But when I am at the overview, it starts to get pretty slow
> around 10 MB.
>

> --

* Re: recover file after crash
@ 2013-01-25 20:31           ` drain
From: drain @ 2013-01-25 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii wrote
> Because what is one line on display may be many lines of text in the
> buffer, and redisplay needs to traverse them all.

Makes sense. I'm glad to know there is a clear technical reason for it, and
that it is not symptomatic of a poorly optimized installation.

In any case, I sent Valentin a large file that tends to lag (didn't want to
impose a large attachment on the mailing list).

* Re: recover file after crash
@ 2013-01-25 20:44             ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-01-25 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 12:31:57 -0800 (PST)
> From: drain <aeuster@gmail.com>
>
> In any case, I sent Valentin a large file that tends to lag

If it has no or few empty lines, adding empty lines (e.g., before
top-level headings) might dramatically improve performance in very
large buffers.

* RE: recover file after crash
@ 2013-01-25 20:56             ` Ludwig, Mark
From: drain @ 2013-01-25 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii wrote
>> Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 12:31:57 -0800 (PST)
>> From: drain &lt;

> aeuster@

> &gt;
>>
>> In any case, I sent Valentin a large file that tends to lag
>
> If it has no or few empty lines, adding empty lines (e.g., before
> top-level headings) might dramatically improve performance in very
> large buffers.

I have to add a couple spaces to the very end of the text of the last
nested headline in order for the spaces to separate each of the top level
headlines. Otherwise, when I reopen the file, these spaces are gone.

In any case, after doing so, implementing your suggestion appears to have
improved performance, especially when sifting through top level headlines
that are partially or completely opened, and also especially when running
point rapidly up a sequence of top level headlines.

* Re: recover file after crash
       [not found]                 ` <mailman.18392.1359236878.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-01-26 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

> From: "Ludwig, Mark" <ludwig.mark@siemens.com>
> Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 20:56:47 +0000
>
> I think I thoroughly documented this in Bug # 9589
> (http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=9589) for the
> developers to consider, which see.

Assuming the OP has such long lines, yes.  But that would be unusual
in a file that is being read in any kind of overview mode, because
those normally are for human consumption, so long lines are unlikely
to appear in them.

* RE: recover file after crash
@ 2013-01-26 21:47                 ` Ludwig, Mark
       [not found]                 ` <mailman.18392.1359236878.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-01-27  6:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

> From: "Ludwig, Mark" <ludwig.mark@siemens.com>
> Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2013 21:47:50 +0000
>
> Side question: is there a GNU tool designed for editing binary
> files?

Hexl mode in Emacs?

@ 2013-02-20  1:35                   ` David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2013-02-20  1:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <mailman.18392.1359236878.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
Ludwig, Mark <ludwig.mark@siemens.com> wrote:
> [...]

About all those nulls that make lines so long, couldn't you run
the file through sed or some super-short c-program or even perl
first, and delete (ie ignore) all those nulls then?

David