all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* moving text from one buffer to another
@ 2013-01-18  8:39 drain
From: drain @ 2013-01-18  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

I'd like to know how I could structure this function more elegantly. It
was designed to:

(1) insert the e-mail address and topic of a mail recipient.
(2) insert the body of a message written in my org-mode mail archive.

This is what I have thus far:

(defun custom-compose-mail ()
  (interactive)
  (let ((contact (completing-read
		  "To: "
		  '(("Foo1" 1) ("Foo2" 2) ("Foo3" 3)
		    ("Foo4" 4) ("Foo5" 5) ("Foo6" 6)
		    ("Foo7" 7) ("Foo8" 8))
		  nil t )))
    (let* ((names '(("Foo1" "foo.bar@aol.com")
		    ("Foo2" "foo2@gmail.com")
 		    ("Foo3" "foo3@gmail.com")
		    ("Foo4" "foo4@gmail.com")
		    ("Foo5" "foo5@yahoo.com")
		    ("Foo6" "foo6@gmail.com")
		    ("Foo7" "foo7@yahoo.com")
                    ("Foo8" "foo8@aol.com"))))
		(setq contact (second (assoc contact names))
		      topic (read-from-minibuffer "Topic: "))
		(compose-mail contact topic)
		(end-of-buffer)
		(newline 1)
                (insert (current-kill 2)))))

When I am done writing a message, I copy it with kill-ring-save. Then a
call the above function interactively with a shortcut. It prompts me for
the name and topic, inserts them into the appropriate fields, then pastes
the copied text into the message body.

I'm comfortable with most of the code, but the way I copy text from the org
archive seems somewhat messy. After a bunch of Google searches,
"current-kill" was the first function that helped me reach my functionality
goals. But it was hardly a learned choice.

* Re: moving text from one buffer to another
@ 2013-01-18  9:56 ` Filipp Gunbin
From: Filipp Gunbin @ 2013-01-18  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: drain; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

On 18/01/2013 12:39 +0400, drain wrote:

> I'd like to know how I could structure this function more elegantly. It
> was designed to:
>
> (1) insert the e-mail address and topic of a mail recipient.
> (2) insert the body of a message written in my org-mode mail archive.

[snip]

> I'm comfortable with most of the code, but the way I copy text from the org
> archive seems somewhat messy. After a bunch of Google searches,
> "current-kill" was the first function that helped me reach my functionality
> goals. But it was hardly a learned choice.

I'd use a kind of address book instead of completing-read. See `(info
"(gnus) FAQ 5-7")' (for Gnus). Then the function would need only to copy
message content to a new mail buffer. I'm not familiar with org, so I
cannot help you on writing such a function, sorry.

--
Filipp Gunbin

* Re: moving text from one buffer to another
@ 2013-01-18 12:25   ` drain
From: drain @ 2013-01-18 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

What matters is that I am copying text from one buffer into another. At
least in terms of the aims of this function, I do not think org-mode has
any impact on the functionality.

Your suggestion helps. One of the core redundancies here is how many times
various forms of input are being copied.

* Re: moving text from one buffer to another
@ 2013-01-18 13:11     ` Filipp Gunbin
From: Filipp Gunbin @ 2013-01-18 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: drain; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

On 18/01/2013 16:25 +0400, drain wrote:

> What matters is that I am copying text from one buffer into another. At
> least in terms of the aims of this function, I do not think org-mode has
> any impact on the functionality.
>
> Your suggestion helps. One of the core redundancies here is how many times
> various forms of input are being copied.

If you'll have to select the content for copying manually, then that's
trivial - for example, `append-to-buffer' will do. But in that case it's
not a problem to paste text by hand with `C-y'.

I meant that there probably is some org-mode-specific way to do that
without manual selection.

--
Filipp Gunbin

* Re: moving text from one buffer to another
@ 2013-01-18 13:25       ` drain
From: drain @ 2013-01-18 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

BBDB seems the way to go: