all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* sorting headers alphabetically in org-mode
@ 2012-11-25  3:53 drain
From: drain @ 2012-11-25  3:53 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

i.e., sort-lines for headers:

BEFORE

** Stallman
*** Passwords
*** New Form Of Mass Folly On Twitter
*** Why It Is Important Not To Have Children
*** Extending Years Of Dementia

AFTER

** Stallman
*** Extending Years of Dementia
*** New Form Of Mass Folly On Twitter
*** Passwords
*** Why It Is Important Not To Have Children

* Re: sorting headers alphabetically in org-mode
@ 2012-11-25  4:23 ` Charles Philip Chan
From: Charles Philip Chan @ 2012-11-25  4:23 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

drain <aeuster@gmail.com> writes:

> i.e., sort-lines for headers:
>
> BEFORE
>
> ** Stallman
> *** Passwords
> *** New Form Of Mass Folly On Twitter
> *** Why It Is Important Not To Have Children
> *** Extending Years Of Dementia
>
> AFTER
>
> ** Stallman
> *** Extending Years of Dementia
> *** New Form Of Mass Folly On Twitter
> *** Passwords
> *** Why It Is Important Not To Have Children

C-c ^ which runs:

,----
| C-c ^ runs the command org-sort, which is an interactive compiled Lisp
| function in `org.el'.
|
| It is bound to C-c ^, <menu-bar> <Org> <Edit Structure> <Sort
| Region/Children>.
|
| (org-sort WITH-CASE)
|
| Call `org-sort-entries', `org-table-sort-lines' or `org-sort-list'.
| Optional argument WITH-CASE means sort case-sensitively.
`----

and choose "alpha.

Charles

--
"...Unix, MS-DOS, and Windows NT (also known as the Good, the Bad, and
the Ugly)."

* Re: sorting headers alphabetically in org-mode
@ 2012-11-25  4:27   ` drain
From: drain @ 2012-11-25  4:27 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

The options that pop up are quite nice. More elaborate than sort-lines.

* Re: sorting headers alphabetically in org-mode
@ 2012-11-25  4:52 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2012-11-25  4:52 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: drain; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

Does one of

    C-h a org sort RET

work?

@ 2012-11-25 21:49   ` drain
From: drain @ 2012-11-25 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Could you rephrase? I don't understand the question.

C-h a org-sort RET produces a list of functions that includes org-sort
among related others.

* Re: sorting headers alphabetically in org-mode
@ 2012-11-25 22:46     ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2012-11-25 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 01:49:24PM -0800, drain wrote:
> Could you rephrase? I don't understand the question.
>
> C-h a org-sort RET produces a list of functions that includes org-sort
> among related others.

The list you see is a list of functions you could use to sort.
Jambunathan was just suggesting you could try them all and see which
suits you best.

--
Suvayu