all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* German characters
@ 2012-08-12 20:58 drain
From: drain @ 2012-08-12 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Spanish.el handles Spanish characters well (F2 / F3 changes characters before
point to / from alternate forms), but I couldn't find anything for German.

In Windows I had to change keyboard layout in the OS, but I'd like an
integrated solution, along the lines of Spanish.el.

I tried going into Mule --> Set Language Environment, but German is not
listed.

* Re: German characters
@ 2012-08-12 21:24 ` drain
From: drain @ 2012-08-12 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Well, it only took a few substitutions to turn spanish.el into a german.el.

But I'd still be interested to know other methods.

* Re: German characters
@ 2012-08-13  6:22   ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2012-08-13  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

drain <aeuster@gmail.com> writes:

> Well, it only took a few substitutions to turn spanish.el into a
> german.el.
>
> But I'd still be interested to know other methods.

I guess, the standard way of writing letters of other languages is to
use input methods.

,----[ C-h k C-x RET C-\ ]
| C-x RET C-\ runs the command set-input-method, which is an interactive compiled
| Lisp function in `mule-cmds.el'.
|
| It is bound to C-x RET C-\, <menu-bar> <options> <mule> <set-input-method>.
|
| (set-input-method INPUT-METHOD &optional INTERACTIVE)
|
| Select and activate input method INPUT-METHOD for the current buffer.
| This also sets the default input method to the one you specify.
| If INPUT-METHOD is nil, this function turns off the input method, and
| also causes you to be prompted for a name of an input method the next
| time you invoke C-\.
| When called interactively, the optional arg INTERACTIVE is non-nil,
| which marks the variable `default-input-method' as set for Custom buffers.
|
| To deactivate the input method interactively, use C-\.
| To deactivate it programmatically, use `deactivate-input-method'.
`----

And for German, you'd use one of those three:

,----[ C-h I german-prefix RET ]

`----

,----[ C-h I german-postfix RET ]

`----

,----[ C-h I german RET ]
| Input method: german (mode line indicator:DE@)
|
| German (Deutsch) input method simulating SUN German keyboard
|

| KEYBOARD LAYOUT
| ---------------
| This input method works by translating individual input characters.
| Assuming that your actual keyboard has the `standard' layout,
| translation results in the following "virtual" keyboard layout:
|
|      +----------------------------------------------------------------+
|       | 1 ! | 2 " | 3 § | 4 $ | 5 % | 6 & | 7 / | 8 ( | 9 ) | 0 = | ß ? | [ { | ] } |
|      +----------------------------------------------------------------+
|         | q Q | w W | e E | r R | t T | z Z | u U | i I | o O | p P | ü Ü | + * |
|        +------------------------------------------------------------+
|          | a A | s S | d D | f F | g G | h H | j J | k K | l L | ö Ö | ä Ä | # ^ |
|         +-----------------------------------------------------------+
|            | y Y | x X | c C | v V | b B | n N | m M | , ; | . : | - _ |
|           +-------------------------------------------------+
| 		    +-----------------------------+
| 		    |          space bar          |
| 		    +-----------------------------+
|
| If your keyboard has a different layout, rearranged from
| `standard', the "virtual" keyboard you get with this input method
| will be rearranged in the same way.
|
| You can set the variable `quail-keyboard-layout-type' to specify
| the physical layout of your keyboard; the tables shown in
| documentation of input methods including this one are based on the
| physical keyboard layout as specified with that variable.
`----

HTH,
Tassilo

* RE: German characters
@ 2012-08-13 14:13 ` Doug Lewan
From: Doug Lewan @ 2012-08-13 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: drain, Help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

I found this on emacs 24.1 off the menu bar
    Options-->Multilingual Environment-->Set Language Environment-->European-->German
That's much more than I like to use the mouse, but you only have to do it once.

I also found German as a possibility for M-x set-language-environment.

I hope this helps.

,Doug

* RE: German characters
@ 2012-08-13 18:56   ` drain
From: drain @ 2012-08-13 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Thanks, good to know. It's nice to have Emacs automatically change double
vowels to umlauts, but it's still easier to use a custom mode.

I mapped C-s-x to language-minor-mode, C-s-g to toggling German chars, and
C-s-s to toggling Spanish chars. I place point right after, for example, o,
and can toggle it with ö by pressing C-s-g.